Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well finally got all the mods done. did the kleen air removal the k&n filter and the rejet. now the bike is running but i have run across what i think are a few problems and was wondering if you guys might know how to fix em.

first, the exhaust tone is weird...it fluctuates between a low and high tone coming from it as it idles. is this normal?

also the throttle seems to stick. it wont fully return to the original position. it seems like it gets caught up on something. this could be my fault considering i removed the cables when i took the carb out but was wondering if somebody knew of a way to adjust it or help fix my screw up.

the bike used to also idle around 1500rpm and it has now dropped to 1000. Should i adjust this or should i leave it alone.

also the rear left blinker and the brake light come on when i turn the bike on. the blinker stays solid. i checked all the electrical connections but i cant seem to find the cause. (keep in mind the front blinkers were not installed yet. could this be the case?)

any information helps...because im pretty lost from here.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
see my comments in bold...

well finally got all the mods done. did the kleen air removal the k&n filter and the rejet. now the bike is running but i have run across what i think are a few problems and was wondering if you guys might know how to fix em.

first, the exhaust tone is weird...it fluctuates between a low and high tone coming from it as it idles. is this normal? No

also the throttle seems to stick. it wont fully return to the original position. it seems like it gets caught up on something. this could be my fault considering i removed the cables when i took the carb out but was wondering if somebody knew of a way to adjust it or help fix my screw up. it took me awhile to get the cables adjusted properly after I put my cables back on, too.

the bike used to also idle around 1500rpm and it has now dropped to 1000. Should i adjust this or should i leave it alone. Adjust to 1500 and see if the throttle action improves.

also the rear left blinker and the brake light come on when i turn the bike on. the blinker stays solid. i checked all the electrical connections but i cant seem to find the cause. (keep in mind the front blinkers were not installed yet. could this be the case?) it should fix itself when the other blinkers are hooked back up. the brake light should always be on and when you press the rear brakes, the light should get brighter.

any information helps...because im pretty lost from here.
as for the hunting, check that you don't have an open vacuum port some where. did you plug the port on the T when you took out the Kleen system?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i did plug it. could it be the carbs are out of sync? i remember even before i did all this crap to my bike it had the same thing, but now its even more noticeable after these projects.

·
Registered
720 Posts
yes, resynch your carbs. Mine was perfectly synched, but swapping out the airbox/rejet, the carbs were out of synch a little (about 3 mm)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
might need a sync.

did you try raising the idle to 1500? if so, what does it do... still hunt?

after I did my mod this weekend, when I went to check the sync, they were pretty close to what they were before the mod. yours would have had to be way off before the mod to be affecting the bike this way now. what does the tach swing back and forth to?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at 1500 it sounds pretty good. it still has the fluctuating tones tho. it seems at 1500 its idling way faster then it did at stock, but it could just be me. for the tone. the tach is jumping back and forth maybe 50 to 100 rpms. like i said even before i did the mods and even the area p, the fluctuating noise was present. It is just more promenent now with the area p and the mods.

this also could just be me, but the bike seems to be vibrating like crazy. just wondering if this also could be a sign of something.

also newb question: what do you mean by hunt or hunting?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
hunt, hunting- varying in rpm, moving up and down.

I set my idle at about 1400-1500.... it sounds acceptable to me.

the fluctuating of 50-100rpms (hunting) could be related to syncing. get it synced and see if it goes away. Also, the vibration could be sync related, too so, best to get it synced and see if the problem (s) go away.

Is the bike rideable at this point?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright ill have to try syncing it then. the bike isnt rideable yet. still need to screw around with the throttle wires. after i get that fixed ill give it a whirl. i hope its a syncing issue and nothing bigger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im putting together something homemade like vex did...im hoping that will do the trick. if anyone has a better suggestion then please share.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts