Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ninja 250 and it won't start. It cranks up but it just won't turn over. I charged the battery fully over night and tried to start it but that's not the issue. I changed the oil with 10w40 full synthetic oil. I tried to jump start it off of another cars battery and that also didn't work. Since i had been trying to avoid it as much as possible I went for a full carb cleaning and cleaned everything by taking it apart not just running cleaner through the tank. The carbs were fairly clean but went and did it just to make sure. I put them back in and tried to start it and it turned over immediately and started but only ran for maybe half of a second. Then today I tried to start it with no success. I honestly don't know where else to check. I have checked the spark plugs and got a good 12v shock haha but i didnt see any spark. The only thing that is weird is they shouldn't have to be replaced yet because it only has 5500 miles on the bike total. Any advice for me would help. Thanks in advance. Im also probably forgetting something... :confused:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No offence meant. But are you good with mechanical things? You might just want to take it to a shop. Just a thought. The spark plugs have way more than 12v, that's what your coil is for. You need air, fuel, and spark to run. If the engine is turning over when you try and start then the battery is fine.
Check the plugs. Make sure they are not fouled out.
Check fuel. Does ut have fuel, is it fresh, are the carbs getting fuel?
Check air filter, is it blocked or stopped up from debris??

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yup, air, fuel, and spark. You say you didn't see any spark when you checked the plugs? Did you have it grounded to your engine when you checked? There should be a small arc but noticeable. If you didn't have the plug grounded check again and see if there is spark, leave the boot on and hold that so you don't get shocked again.

You didn't mention how long you have had the bike for. Did you buy it and you needed to get it to run? Was it running fine and you did something and now it won't run? Was it sitting for a while, is the fuel turned on?

·
1,905 Posts
Yup, air, fuel, and spark. You say you didn't see any spark when you checked the plugs? Did you have it grounded to your engine when you checked? There should be a small arc but noticeable. If you didn't have the plug grounded check again and see if there is spark, leave the boot on and hold that so you don't get shocked again.

You didn't mention how long you have had the bike for. Did you buy it and you needed to get it to run? Was it running fine and you did something and now it won't run? Was it sitting for a while, is the fuel turned on?
+1..... :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help and sorry for such a slow reply! I had been working on it all day everyday haha. It is running now so that is very good news! Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts