Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today we went out cruising to Santiago Canyon and i started noticing problems with my bike (1992 ZX7). It seems to bog down when im cruising. I watch the RPM go spike down and spike back up and back down and spike up again....when i am cruising ....i suspect that it would have to do with the carbs or the plugs/plug wires....any ideas?

Oh yeah, for my maintenance...i changed the oil and the plugs as soon as i bought the bike. That was about 2,000 miles ago...but i didnt adjust the contact space on the plugs...that might be one of the reasons as well....

BTW, if it is carb cleaning issues....should i go use the direct spray carb cleaner or the formula that you add to your gas to clean carbs?

Thanks! Hopefully i can resolve this issue cause i need to use the bike even on the weekdays :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
dont use the carb cleaner u put in the tank that stuffs just oaded with things that will clog it even more its all gimmicks. take out the carbs and take em aprt and clean em.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The problem could be one of many things either fuel, air, or spark related.

As far as the pour in cleaners.. I use them in my vehicles and have never had a problem, nor do I know anyone who has had a problem with them. Personally I like them, but that's my opinion and as you may know opionions are like a$$holes... everyone has one.

I think you first logical step would be to pull your plugs and see how they look. They should be pretty clean with a tan or grayish color to them. If they are not this can help diagnose the problem. Note their appearance and clean or replace as needed, and I strongly recommend properly gapping them. It's a quick easy thing to do and can make a considerable difference on how your engine runs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. I have never used the pour in cleaner...i have always used the spray cleaner. But i was asking to see if the pour in stuff would be ok cause i didnt have too much time yesterday to pull out everything and clean it.

Well the funny thing last night was, I let the bike sit for about two hours. After we got back home from the ride. I rode it to put gas in it. And no problem whatsoever, for the 3 miles ride one way. And same thing coming back, smooth. I dont know what it was, but ill rip it out just to make sure i dont the same problem when im riding long distance.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Originally posted by mikeyg678
dont use the carb cleaner u put in the tank that stuffs just oaded with things that will clog it even more its all gimmicks. take out the carbs and take em aprt and clean em.
I've used the pour in carb cleaner when my needle valves were sticking and it worked wonders for me. All the other 7 forums I've frequented have suggested the pour cleaner if you suspect carb problems.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Supa Ninja

I've used the pour in carb cleaner when my needle valves were sticking and it worked wonders for me. All the other 7 forums I've frequented have suggested the pour cleaner if you suspect carb problems.
Oh wow. sweet! Thanks for the reply...should make my job easier tomorrow then. What brand do you use/recommend?? or just go to local parts store and buy any pour in carb cleaner??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks....for some reason thats what i bought today as well...the first 10 miles was still the same....then after it started clearing up a bit.

I cleaned the carbs today with the spray on stuff. Drove down to the gas station filled up with the STP stuff and a little bit more gas. Ran fine, then it started bogging down again...not as much but would do it still...

I noticed that everytime i turn off the bike for a while, it starts running good, then when it warms up it acts up...

So far:
Clean the carbs - both spray on stuff and additives stuff.
Cleaned the air filter

It needs:
Plugs gapped/replaced
New Fuel filter

Now i will take out the plugs and gap them...i know the plugs are already pre-gapped, but i will still try out to rule it out....and see what happens....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i took out the plugs and just replaced them with new ones i have here. Everything I have done has solved other problems but the one i was trying to fix. Now the throttle response is really good, starts right up on first push of button. But the bogging and hesistation is still there.

I came to notice as well that when the bike is cold its runs excellent! But as soon as the temp gauge needle goes past the 2nd line going towards the mid point, the problem occurs. I go to cruise the needle goes down...it runs fine, I stop at a stop light needle goes to the midpoint, i go, starts to bog down at takeoff. It would run fine for 2 seconds and bog down as soon as i am pickin up speed. and from then on its just random....it would bog down out of nowhere...

Any idea why its doing this? I kinda want to do whatever i can before i shell out a couple of hundred of dollars for a mechanic to do maintenance on it....

Also, would changing to a higher end spark plugs would help out? Im using the NGK cr9e right now...maybe if i switch to CR9ek or maybe the CR9evx you think it would help out???

Thanks again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by h2opoloplyr_11
Ok, i took out the plugs and just replaced them with new ones i have here. Everything I have done has solved other problems but the one i was trying to fix. Now the throttle response is really good, starts right up on first push of button. But the bogging and hesistation is still there.

I came to notice as well that when the bike is cold its runs excellent! But as soon as the temp gauge needle goes past the 2nd line going towards the mid point, the problem occurs. I go to cruise the needle goes down...it runs fine, I stop at a stop light needle goes to the midpoint, i go, starts to bog down at takeoff. It would run fine for 2 seconds and bog down as soon as i am pickin up speed. and from then on its just random....it would bog down out of nowhere...

Any idea why its doing this? I kinda want to do whatever i can before i shell out a couple of hundred of dollars for a mechanic to do maintenance on it....

Also, would changing to a higher end spark plugs would help out? Im using the NGK cr9e right now...maybe if i switch to CR9ek or maybe the CR9evx you think it would help out???

Thanks again.
Wow i have almost the same problem as you. as soon as the temp reaches to about 1/4 way up the guage and the fan turns on it bogs down or sounds like its misfiring. But it only happens if im at idle or stopped at a light. If i start moving, it doesnt bog down.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by haynboy8

Wow i have almost the same problem as you. as soon as the temp reaches to about 1/4 way up the guage and the fan turns on it bogs down or sounds like its misfiring. But it only happens if im at idle or stopped at a light. If i start moving, it doesnt bog down.
Have found a work around your problem....or its still there??? cause mine does that as well...fan kicks in...bike sometimes dies....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by h2opoloplyr_11

Have found a work around your problem....or its still there??? cause mine does that as well...fan kicks in...bike sometimes dies....
nope havent found a solution. i dunno what it is. it might have something to do with the electrical system, because it only happens when the fan turns on. maybe its drawing too much power or something. I dunno but mine doesnt die, jus idles kinda rough. so i havent really looked into it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by haynboy8<br>

nope havent found a solution. i dunno what it is. it might have something to do with the electrical system, because it only happens when the fan turns on. maybe its drawing too much power or something. I dunno but mine doesnt die, jus idles kinda rough. so i havent really looked into it.
Yeah, i thought of the same thing......electrical. That doesnt bug me at all...i can handle the bike dying when the fan kicks in....but the bogging down while taking off or while trying to pick up speed killls me...

Today round 2 of carb clean up...ill make sure that every spot of the carb is cleaned today and i dont miss a spot....i kinda did a quickie job the first time around....so we will see what happens...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, i tried round 2 cleanup....try to spray the carb every angle i can.... the result: still the same...BUT it bog a WHOLE lot less! so i guess im on the right track.

Now im desperate. I just went out and bought the best stuff, (claimed by others)SeaFoam. I poured 1/3 of the bottle directly on the fuel line (the line that goes to the fuel filter). 1/3 on the carbs itself. and the remaining on the fuel tank...so it will keep on cleaning it 50/50 till i have fill up again....now i wait till it soaks in and im crossing my fingers this is it.....

The thing i noticed after putting the seafoam in the fuel line is that smoke would come out of the carbs. Random carbs would shoot out smoke and i mean shoot out...it makes a popping sound and poof comes the smoke....i dont know what that means...

Quick questions:
1) Where is the idle control on a 92 zx7??? i cant find it.

2) The bike has stage 1 jet kit on it already...Do you have to keep buying jet kits...or the jet kit last until the bike does???

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, the day just went from bad to worst......problem is still not fixed....Runs excellent when cold. But temp goes to 1st bar or midpoint...bogs down, and when i go WOT it bogs down a lot....(kinda looks like a person driving stick for the first time and doesnt know how...)

And to top it off....on the way home from the test ride.....the f**king throttle cable snapped! so I had to pull over to the side, walk the bike to a parking spot and wait for someone to bring my truck in the freezing hills of anaheim....good times. No bike for a little while [V]

On the bright side, there are still nice people out there....one guy let me borrow his crescent wrench so i can see whats the problem...and he said i could keep the thing! Thanks whoever you are! and on the other note, i will be fixing the throttle cable this weekend or the next (depends if i have to work) with spare cable i have. And I throw the towel for the boggin down problem...i will bring it in sometime to see if AK knows what is going on....

All i can think about now is how sweet it will be again when shes 100%

Thanks for the reply guys....and all the help...it was greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
124 Posts
ahh sorry to hear that. get our bike fixed up and you will be happy again. let me know what AK says about the bogging down thing, so i can see if it fixes mine. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
im sorry let me rephrase my reply extended use of those pour intypes will maybw not cause a problem but will in some cases be more harmful then good. i used to work for one of the companies that made them rather not say the name but there loaded with teflon additives and other things that do clean and help but will harm after a period of time. but to each is own im not knockin anyone for usin them just giving a heads up. granted there are some products out there that will work better in a FI vehicle then a carburated bike

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
still doing the same thing....mechanic that i know is busy so when i get contact i will let you guys know....

Said its probably carb synch, jet needle out of place, or something stuck in the carbs itself....different issues...will let you know as soon as i get info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
have you taken the carbs off and pulled the jets to clean the carbs completely not just with pour in or spray cleaner. If it got better when you did those it might mean that the carbs need to be completely disassembled. If it idles fine then I am not so sure that you are that far off on the synch-ing of the carbs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.