Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a bit of an old bike, but it is one of the ones that got this forum going..
Anyways picked this bike up as well, wanted a new project and to save it from whatever shit life it might find itself in.
She was not as clean as i would of hoped, but from past experience for every one thing a dealer points out there is at least 5-10 other things they didn't mention.
If you say you want a 8/10th of new, and they say it is, expect more like 6/10.. Anyways here she is as she showed up on Friday..
The mods and maintenance have already started, as with how sticky and almost seized the clutch cable is, i couldn't ride her.

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, i did put on the new galfer wave rotors & delrin axle sliders and swingarm bobbins as well and cleaned her up before this picture..
Todays parts install.
new 520 DID Chain, and superlite sprockets, but they shorted me on the chain length, so sprockets for now.
Muzzy frame sliders
Galfer stainless rear smoke/carbon brakeline
new fluid up front..... holding off on lines, as i am going to do a front end overhaul with different calipers, brake master etc.
oil change to motul 7100

that should cover things for today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking good,..... Calipers look in mint condition so i would leave them!..(spend the money on a steering damper)...i would just upgrade to brembo MC, EBC HH pads and braided lines......do change the caliper bolts as OEMs are made of cheese and allen head will round eventually.

I think black stomp grips really improve the look of the bike...here's an old pic of one of mine

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking ride!
Not a fan of the tokico crap calipers, wasn't in 2005 and not even close to liking them now.. guess all my Brembo clad warriors have me spoiled..
But waiting on a response, as i will most likely be putting on M50 Brembo monoblocks, with a 17 rcs corsacorta master with custom lines. (of course cross drilled hex flange bolts will be used)
suspension will most likely be Bitubo race stuff.

totally agree on the black tank pads, need to look into techspec and what they offer.

·
Pursebully
37,981 Posts
Holy crap! JD is back! Nice looking bike, it makes me miss mine.

Reactions: jdgun_13

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy crap! JD is back! Nice looking bike, it makes me miss mine.
LOL, indeed I figured it was my duty to save a 2003 zx6rr... Progress is coming along nicely, new tokico monoblocks show up today, and have a 17 rcs Brembo to use with them. just need to measure out the new lines to put on her, will have coremoto do those.
Silicone hose kit is on
All short velocity stacks
BMC Air filter
Yoshimura RS7 full system
new plugs
free mods
new rosso corsa II tires
galfer front rotors waiting on different back rotor.
had to swap the clutch line out as it was binded up.
waiting on engine cover gaskets, as have some clean covers to install
crash protection installed (axle, frame and swingarm bobbins).

next big purchase is a bitubo shock, and fork cartridges for a 05-08 fork most likely.

need to order a few things out of the UK, and also source a clean 05-06 radiator.
Keeping my eyes peeled for a 6RR motor, or barrels, as a 2mm overbore will be done this coming winter.

·
Registered
ZX6r B1 2003
15 Posts
Hi JD
What's the advantage of the later radiator? Is it bigger or just likely to be in better condition due to age?
Isita straight swap or what mods does it require to fit.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi JD
What's the advantage of the later radiator? Is it bigger or just likely to be in better condition due to age?
Isita straight swap or what mods does it require to fit.
Cheers
The 05/06 is slightly longer and provides a bit more cooling, but depending on the exhaust headers you have there might be some intereference.

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have not updated this in awhile, but bike is pretty much done till winter time...
I just put on some 06 zx6rr forks, a side mount ohlins damper, 09 gauge swap, and some other various things,,, she is about as good as she will be till i tear into the motor for 05/06 636 cams, new valve springs, some headwork, and a few other little things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have not updated this in awhile, but bike is pretty much done till winter time...
I just put on some 06 zx6rr forks, a side mount ohlins damper, 09 gauge swap, and some other various things,,, she is about as good as she will be till i tear into the motor for 05/06 636 cams, new valve springs, some headwork, and a few other little things.
What kind of calibers/discs/blocks did you use for the brakes on the front, i'm looking to upgrade mine. Do you need any additional parts to install different calibers and discs? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rotors/disc are the easy part, as pretty much any zx6r/rr/636 will bolt right on as will zx10r up until 2016 if not mistaken, and the zx14 will also, best thing to do is figure out what size you want to go with, 300,310,320mm and then look on the galfer website, and look at the parts diagram.. zero offset is the key, you will need spacers and longer bolts.... I have 300mm galfer rotors from a zx10r on currently, also have 310mm galfer rotors for a 2013 zx6r. Calipers is way easier 108mm bolt spacing is what you need, so loads of options out there. I went to the tokico monoblocks from a cbr1000rr, (4) 30mm caliper pistons suited to the brembo rcs brake master i had here, they work well, but nothing like OEM brembo monoblocks. I would go with GSXR 1000 or hayabusa brembo mononoblock calipers if you can source those, and nissin zx14 calipers if on the cheap. brakelines will most likely need to be custom depending on what parts you end up using. more than happy to help you source some parts and give you more info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts