Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s the deal a while ago I said I was gona build a Bad A$$ 9R well I found one to build (and I don’t want to here go buy a zx10 been through that thought process already)it is and 2003 with only 3500 miles on the clock. I’m planning on among other things 998 kit,cams,exhaust,timing advance NOS and a crap load more too much to list if iv heard it being done im going to try it to see the results. I took the bike to get a base line run today on a Dyno Jet and the numbers weren’t bad mind you this is a completely stock bike with NOTHING done to it. best numbers out of 5 runs were 125.80 hp @ 10200 RPM and 67.32 ft lbs torque ant 9500 RPM it was 80 outside and 67% humidity. now its time to play wizard with a wrench. and see what we can get out of her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
you better not forget about a way to keep that bike cool when you finally get the 998cc kit on there. especially if yer gonna be ridin it around town and shit that bike will be 220 constantly......man yer gonna need to tune the hell out of it. you may wanna look into a way better radiator and a aluminum fan, get all the engine parts ceramic coated and piston sealed. geez i wouldnt wanna ride that 9r on a hot summer day!!!! happy tuning!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well mod crazy any and all ideas are well welcomed I already considered the cooling problem but not to that extent I have already got the fan from muzzy but have no idea where to get a diffrent Rad. I had a similar problem with my 99 getting hot I fixed it with engine ice but that not going to fix this heat monster. From what i have read on here your bike is well decked out in parts do you have any tips on what I sould be doing here that I may have not thought of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
i heard from a guy in singapore i think (seriously hot and humid place) with similar mods and he was getting by fine with engine ice and a better fan IIRC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
I have the same problem.... i have the 998 kit and YES!!!! You will run hot cruising around town. Mine stays at a constant 220+ in town....Fan is confused as well for some reason... It comes on at like 230 and runs for 5 mins then cuts off...Im running a manual switch soon and trying the engine ice.... DOES ANYONE know of a BETTER, different year, even make, rad that will cool better.....Nitrouschris???? Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
BTW I have the exact same mods u want... - the NOS......IT WILL RUN ON THE HOTT SYDE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I have a 99 ZX9, with out the 998 kit. I was out riding in the city a couple of days ago with some guys (about 80-85 degrees)and I ran hot. Will engine ice help, and what is engine ice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,760 Posts
Engine Ice and Water Wetter both work well. Also, ditch the anti-freeze and run distilled water with one bottle of either Engine Ice or Water Wetter, Step up to a 195 thermostat, holds water in the radiator longer before opening and allows it to cool a little longer. Muzzys alum fan will help to. And a manual switch aint a bad idea either. If you get traffic, flip it on.

Hope this helps
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
maybe you can upgrade to a zx12 radiator?? might need to do some fab work for brackets, but you could probly get someone to measure one up for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Originally posted by nitrouschris
And a manual switch aint a bad idea either. If you get traffic, flip it on.

Hope this helps
Chris
yeah i have issues with my C1 getting real hot in traffic during summer, thinking of putting a resistor in parallel with the water temp sensor, should bring the fan on earlier if i get the value right... right now it doesnt come on till like 5 bars and thats way too hot already, makes the power really soggy.. 4 bars or just before would be better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Originally posted by NinetySix



yeah i have issues with my C1 getting real hot in traffic during summer, thinking of putting a resistor in parallel with the water temp sensor, should bring the fan on earlier if i get the value right... right now it doesnt come on till like 5 bars and thats way too hot already, makes the power really soggy.. 4 bars or just before would be better
Some local riders told me to purchase this coolant that will keep the bike cooler during hot temperatures. They said it was about $20 per bottle but it was great. I forgot the name of it but it was something about ice something for bikes - you guys might know more than me about this stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well here is an update on how the project is going SLOW but the engine is coming out this week. but not befor i got to race it at the track. 10.7s in the 1/4. it was 97 deg. and 60% humidity that day sucked. nice to be sitting in that weather in all black leather or any color leathers for that matter.....thier was a 98 zx9 their pulling 9.7s cant wait to see that number I asked what he had done to it but he said it was a money bike and he wouldn't tell me oh well..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,760 Posts
If it helps ya at all, i was going 9.70's on mine with nothing done to the motor. Just some carb tuning, gearing, advancer, swingarm, MR9 and seat time. Keep at it and you'll be there!

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
9.70's on a stock motor? Jeez what am i doing wrong....lol...best ive managed is a 10.1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Chris did you have your cams adjusted or are they at stock settings
Originally posted by nitrouschris
If it helps ya at all, i was going 9.70's on mine with nothing done to the motor. Just some carb tuning, gearing, advancer, swingarm, MR9 and seat time. Keep at it and you'll be there!

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
What is you body weight and do you have any gearing done to the bike and are you running off pump gas or racing fuel
Originally posted by roadrat68
well here is an update on how the project is going SLOW but the engine is coming out this week. but not befor i got to race it at the track. 10.7s in the 1/4. it was 97 deg. and 60% humidity that day sucked. nice to be sitting in that weather in all black leather or any color leathers for that matter.....thier was a 98 zx9 their pulling 9.7s cant wait to see that number I asked what he had done to it but he said it was a money bike and he wouldn't tell me oh well..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I weight 175 and I was on pumped gas 96 oct. no gearing changes when I say stock I mean it, the bike is stock it cant get any more stock hell it still has the factory pipe and air filter.


Hey Chris what is an MR9 ????????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
check www.racebikeparts.com they have a race rad for the 00/02 zx6r we share radiator. Only problem is the radiator doesn't have provisions for the fan bike I'm sure you can rig something up. The radiator is twice the size of the stock. If you do all that work keep moving traffic suck. when I lived at the beach I would cut my zx7rr off and walk it until the road opened up a little.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top