Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have been busy with school and i am almost done with my zx6r, i always forget my camera, but sense i am taking photography at school, i have it on me most times now. I just put on my 04 636 headers and my micron highmount. My tank is not yet done and i still need to clear all the fairings and put the headlight reflective inside in, and my lens on. I would like to paint the front rim the same as the back, and maybe put something on the swingarm but i dont know due to i want to do a 05 636 rear end conversion. Anyways enjoy the pics, and give me some feedback. (BTW i know the body work isnt pro or that good, its better then it was and is by far not a show bike, just looks a hell of a lot better then before...)
Ben

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clearing it with a gloss clear, and yeah its auto paint besides the graphite color is from a can its textured graphite color from duplicolor. I just got some hardener for the clear so some time in the next week i will do it once i finish my tank. I wanted to have a flat look to it but everyone says use gloss clear it will really shine due the the metaflake in the paint, so i am going to, and i can always redo it over the winter if i dont like it...
Ben

·
Registered
155 Posts
awesome. Looks nice, but what I was meaning with auto air is that it is a water based paint that is flat when you spray it on and you spray regular clear over it I think to make it gloss and to water proof it. Looks good. I am painting my bike soon and I think I may use some out of the can for the smaller areas as I am planning on doing a couple colors. Bike looks great.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah its a 2 stage is what i think you mean, where it needs clear applied its not single stage where it is glossy and has clear in it. thanks for the comment, i love it and cant wait for it to be done and to ride it and hear it scream with the new exhaust, i have only reved it a bit not ridden it...
Ben

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lined up great, bolted right up, its a little tricky unless you completely remove the radiator, i had mine dangleing but the 636 headers are a little tricky to get perfect in the holes becasue it has to be lined up exact but it only took me about an hour to remove old exhaust system, and install new setup competely. Its a pain to get the nuts off of the lower studs on the flanges but its well worth the time imo, no modding what so ever though just bolts up except the angle that the mount for the can is a litte off for our bikes so ionly bolted in one, and you can see its only a tad off but you can use about a 1" peice of flat stock aluminum and make up for the difference in hight at the can to the mount. I only paid $100 for the setup and i cant complain!
Ben

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
the like the direction you are going with this bike. keep us posted with pics as you progress. i am wanting to do the 05 swingarm conversion since i am trying to do the 05 undertail exhaust on my bike. I love the color you have on your bike. I am totally ignorant about body paint. can you please enlighten me as to how i can go about getting that color and finish on my bike. another question, are regular auto body paints usable on the plastic fairings. since the plastics flex where as car bodies dont. so do you have to add any additives to the paint? would appreicate your advice

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well these are fiberglass, and you cna get an additive so they flex,i didnt, but i am not worried, as for color just go to a local autoplace and give them a picture of the color you want and they can match it up pretty close. i would also like undetail with a hot bodies untail exhaust so you dont see any exhaust at all but this was a cheap alternative. I am not leaving my bike flat finish like that, though i would like too, but this peticular paint needs clear. You could also get the factory kawi plasma blue in flat like they had on the 05 or 06 636...
Ben

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
another curious question , i have heard that paint tends to fade on the fiberglass fairings and very soon the finish doesnt look like the original plastics do. is that true, or does it just depend on how good or bad the paint job was done. Also would like to know what lights you have on there and how did you mount it. looks pretty cool! you should get that swing arm powdercoated or painted black too. just a suggestion!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Um i think it depends on what paint etc you use for fading, all paint fades thats how it is lol. And what lights are you talking about my headlight? I made it beleive it or not lol Today i added 2 small fog lights unter the ran air area and a license plate light. I am wanting to do my swingarm the same as the frame, but i just dont feel like taking it off etc.... I today decided i am giving up with the tank i spent way too many hours on it and it seems i find more and more dents, so i decided to make the sides blue where there arent dents, and the rest the same as the frame, 1 more coat on it and i will be ready to clear it all, i want to clear all of it at once, so hopefully this week it will be done for now, but i am still waiting on my "back off" relay for my tail lights. I am so anxious to put it all back together, and wash it and give her a nice first ride of looking good! lol BTW the front wheel will be the same as the rear paintwise but i figure i would wait until i change the tire because it needs one soon enough. Anyways, maybe mid week i can have it done if i am lucky, so expect some new finished pics soon!
Ben

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well today i was pissed to find my ank upside down with the bondo chipped off due to a small skim coat and it not sealed yet, so i said fuck it and am going to get a new tank eventually sense i am tired of fixing dents etc, so i left the top as is, and put a coat of paint ontop of that and i am going to put grip tape over it or a sticker for now until i get a new tank. The tank is crappy i do know and it will be changed, but the rest looks sweet i think. I need to wet sand and compound the orange peel because i decided i didnt want to wait for my friend to do it and i just did it with my crappy gun, but the color came out sweet! I will get pics hopefully tomorrow of it finished. I want to clear the frame too so its protected but it might be a bitch to do so i might get spray can clear from autozone or something where i can control spray better. But anyways i am very happy with the turnout for a do it yourself 17 year old lol
Ben

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.