Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just making an easy to access thread for my project. Been working on her for a short while.

Project is named Vapor Mod, because some idiots at Ninja 250 riders club banned me for asking questions about how to reduce a lot of weight from the bike and modify it.

Pics:
Beginning, stickered up and dirty:

Cleaned up and de-stickered:

Removed fairings and some other stuff:

Figuring out how to clear up the back:

Cleaned up behind the battery, still need to figure out how to keep everything mounted:

That's where I'm at now... weighs in (with battery, full fluids, full tank of gas) at 334.5 lbs. Aftermarket exhaust will knock off another 17-20 lbs, headlight will take off a few pounds, then I have plans to lighten further. Project goal originally was below 300 lbs fully loaded, and I think I can do it.

Lemme know if you guys have any tips or hints. Thanks! ^_^

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is the purpose of trying to get the bike under 300 lbs. I understand lighter is suppose to equal faster, but it is a 250 cc bike. Is this going to be a track bike only.

Sorry, I took the sucker bait and want to know more.

(I hear you gain 25 mph on top speed for taking off the rear brake)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the rear brake, fill the tires with hydrogen, ride naked, lose weight yourself, is that enough "funny" comments now? They're so helpful.

Why? Lighter is funner. The lighter the bike, the more fun to ride. It's also very easy to work on and I like how it looks, but those are just side effects.

The Ninja 250 is easier to flick around than a Ninja 500. I just made up that difference again, and I'll do it yet again. Fun.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i dunno man, you need some sort of "skin" on that. I'd be nervous with that much crap exposed. You plan on water proofing?
Exactly what stuff are you refering to? I live in a desert, barely ever see water. And if it rains, I have my car.

Still, if you pop the hood on a car, you can hose the entire engine bay down (as long as you miss a few intakes and electronics), so why would you be worried about the block and cables being exposed? The wiring is still protected, not that it really needs all that much protection.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Easiest way to lose weight is to step on the bathroom scale. Most of us could lose 20 pounds and the bike would remain safe.
"Remove the rear brake, fill the tires with hydrogen, ride naked, lose weight yourself, is that enough "funny" comments now? They're so helpful."

I've already mentioned that, is there anything else you might recommend?

·
Registered
848 Posts
"Remove the rear brake, fill the tires with hydrogen, ride naked, lose weight yourself, is that enough "funny" comments now? They're so helpful."

Thank you for playing the who chooses not to pay attention to what is already posted in a thread game, please try again.
Hey man, heads up, that kinda shit will get you banned here too... enzo is highly regarded here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

I've already mentioned that, is there anything else you might recommend?
I wasn't trying to be funny. Hitting the gym and losing weight is the best, cheapest, and safest thing you can do. Maybe you don't have any weight to lose but most of us do.

If money is no object there are numerous ways to cut weight. It will be costly and might not be worth it in the long run. Why do you want all the weight off the bike? Are you doing something with your bike that losing a few pounds will make it that much better?

If you do end up at the gym you will feel better about riding naked.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wasn't trying to be funny. Hitting the gym and losing weight is the best, cheapest, and safest thing you can do. Maybe you don't have any weight to lose but most of us do.
I know that. I'm posting on a motorcycle forum, looking for motorcycle advice. I'm already working out and stuff, so any motorcycle advice?

If money is no object there are numerous ways to cut weight. It will be costly and might not be worth it in the long run. Why do you want all the weight off the bike? Are you doing something with your bike that losing a few pounds will make it that much better?
Money is an object, haven't spent a dime on making the bike lighter so far. Don't have much money, don't plan on spending much. And no, each pound doesn't make it much better, but each pound adds up. I love light vehicles, how they feel. They're fun. That's why I'm doing this. Cheap fun.

I got a bike because I was out of money supporting my autocross/HPDE car, and heard that track time for bikes was cheaper. I'm having fun until I get to that point.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Who is enzo??
He are some guys that live in Florida...

Ever consider a smaller tire? Cutting the fuel tank and rewelding to make it smaller? Ditch the tach and the fuel gauge. Strip the rubber from the footpegs and grips. Is your seat still whole with the rear grab bar? Rig up smaller lighter LED's in place of rear lights.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Places to lose weight;

Wheels
tires
battery
starter
gas tank
handle bars
seat
fairing
exhaust
lights

The bike already looks like a rat bike.

I think learning to ride better would be some advice but since it isn't motorcycle specific I'll keep that to myself.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.