Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have another thread going in here but thought that this may warrant it's own thread.

What I am curious about is how you guys go about flushing your coolant. What I am looking for is not necessarily the procedure from the manual (which I have) but the "home mechanic" version. I recently flushed mine and I think I have some air trapped in there.. Here is what I did:

-Remove the fairings
-Remove the radiator cap
-Remove the upper drain bolt from the front of the engine
-Remove the lower drain bolt from the water pump housing
-Replaced the drain bolts and filled the bike with hose water
-Filled and drained the system until the water was coming out clean
-Torqued the drain bolts and filled the system with 50/50 and some water wetter
-Ran the engine until i did not see any more bubbles in the coolant
-Gave the hoses a good squeeze to get rid of trapped air
-Replaced the radiator cap and let the system heat up to operating temp for 10 mins
-Let cool overnight
-Checked fluid level in the morning with the bike cold
-Added a few ML of coolant to top it off.

Sound right? Any tips for ensuring you get all of the trapped air out?

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Procedure sounds ok by me. When you filled, you filled from the radiator cap side? I go nice and slow and that helps expel the air out while filling. When I initially fire it up, I have the radiator cap open, and I'll fill a tad with it running before it gets too hot and starts expanding. I don't do the squeeze the hose thing. After I seal the radiator cap, if I need to top off, I add it in the overflow resivoir. I too, don't use distilled water, I've ran standard water, HOT though and have had no issues. When I do mine, i end up with about 8 gallons of coolant/water waste. I get it good and clear.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I've always heard distilled water is better than hose water.. but it's your bike..

Honestly, do you really think that a dealership will have a shitload of distilled water on tap when they do coolant changes? Sure it may be recommended, but I have yet to see or hear of anyone actually using it. As long as you're not in an area that has excessively hard water (like in the boonies and you have your own water well for your house) I think just having some slightly hot water is good enough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, do you really think that a dealership will have a shitload of distilled water on tap when they do coolant changes? Sure it may be recommended, but I have yet to see or hear of anyone actually using it. As long as you're not in an area that has excessively hard water (like in the boonies and you have your own water well for your house) I think just having some slightly hot water is good enough.
Exactly. Plus it isn't like I am running it in the bike. I strictly use the tap water for flushing purposes. Otherwise, I would end up with a billion distilled water jugs. Ok, so the procedure sounds kosher? Any other tips for making sure the system has no air bubbles?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing I would add to that would be to remove and flush out the reservoir tank under the gas tank.
Good point. That is one thing I didn't do. It looked clean upon visual inspection but while you are in there, it would be a bone-headed move not to clean it. After-all.. We all know looks can be deceiving. ;)

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
When I drain my antifreeze and switch to water for track days ... I pretty much do everything you are doing but I take a few extra steps. After draining the system, before refilling, I take the hose clamps off of one side of each of the hoses and empty the hoses as well. It makes it easier to get all the old stuff out.

I definately use distilled water in my system. But I would agree that the dealers probably do not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.