Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m a fairly new rider and it’s time for the first oil change on my 2019 650. Anyone know the oil filter I need? Any suggestions on brands for filters and oil? (Aside from OEM of course). Sorry for the newbie question....I come from the land of Subaru’s and am excited to learn More about my bike!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome!

I use HiFlo oil and air filters, the Kawasaki OEM filters are basically rebranded HiFlo units so you only pay for the company logo. They are also TUV approved. I also use BelRay 10w - 40 Synthetic Ester Blend oil. Highly recommended by me :)
Thank you man!! I’ll definitely look into HiFlo and BelRay

·
Registered
Race 09 ER650N,07 SV650S,Cbx250 twister,86 Gsxr750. Road 13 GTR 1400, ER650F,06 SV650S,86 Gsxr1100
111 Posts
Also use Hiflo oil filters just the race version with the predrilled nut welded on the end which permits lockwiring and easier removal with a socket set. Fork oil for racing I use 20w on non cartridge types , either motul / bel ray. Air filters I use DNA / BMC / K&N washables with silkolene (Fuchs) filter oil. I also use Silkolene engine oil and coolant (doesn't contain glycol which is banned in racing)

Reactions: GR rider

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just as a PSA, be really careful when substituting non-OEM oil filters. Depending upon the design, some of them have integrated bypass valves in cases where the oil filter gets clogged to allow the oil to circulate anyways. Some non-OEM filters lack the valve. And on some bikes, the valve itself is completely separate from the filter.

If you're just using the non-branded version of the OEM filter, you're likely OK, but make sure that it's really identical when you take the old filter out and compare it with the new one. Specifically look to see if there's a spring loaded pressure release in the filter, or if it's external to the filter as you do not want to accidentally disable that feature. Dirty oil damages engines less quickly than no oil does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts