Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today was my first offical day on the bike - 2003 636 - it's taking some getting used to - my wrists are sore and my neck is as well...

i was wondering what the proper positioning is be seated? i remember reading that you should not put weight on your hands, that you should support yourself with your back and knees - i can do that, however, my crotch is just mashed into the tank - anyway, any pointers would be great..

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
try relaxing your grip to reduce hand fatigue and focus on supporting your upper body with you stomach and back muscles, this will eliminate undue stress on your wrists.
another thing that really helped me was when i made a conscious effort to squeeze the tank with my legs, this will help keep you from sliding around and will also help reduce the amount of abuse your wrists receive.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Before everyone flames you I'll offer some advise because I had the same concerns when I got my 636 and people took to flamming me one account of asking a question. (A$$hole$)

- Your wrists will hurt but it goes away after a few weeks of riding.

- Alternate between placing all the weight on your wrists and clamping your knee's against the tank and vise versa when you get tired.

- And oh course, Ride with the rubber side down at all times......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont lock your elbows and lean on them. Its makes it way easier to steer and will make the numbness go away. To support myself without leaning on my arms I kinda have to hump the tank but its way better for control. Eventually you get stronger and its easier. You want your sholders to be loose too. You'll know they are good because you can shrug them easily. I shrug them once in a while when I'm riding to check/remind myself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by ben8jam
...and my neck is as well...
Come on guys...no one is going to tell him how to prevent his neck from hurting?

Ok Ben...the eaiest way to keep your neck from hurting is to STOP RIDING AROUND WOT ALL TIME!! :D Keep the RPMs below 5-6k until you get that strength built up.

-Blake

·
Registered
372 Posts
Like most things in bikedome its counterintuitive and riders fuck it up.Most have their weight supported with upper body,arms/shoulders.You need to be thinking other end,legs/Abs.Like posted above shrug,flap elbows,float hands to keep unwanted inputs to fr end at an absolute minimum.Best of luck,BW

·
Registered
759 Posts
Good advice above on keeping your upper body (hands, arms, shoulders) relaxed. The other thing to realize is that the muscles will take a little time to get used to the riding position.

As far as being up against the tank goes, I think that was a common complaint with the 2003/2004 models. The seat was angled and tended to push you up into the tank. The seat on the 05/06 is much flatter. Maybe a Corbin or Sargent (not sure who makes them) for the 03/04 would be help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If my wrists are talking to me, I usually need to twist the right one more. Speed gives lift taking pressure off. I also move back in the seat so I can get some support from the tank. I avoid going downhill behind slow traffic (requires twisting the right wrist). The more I ride and the faster I go, the less I hurt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by wash23
If my wrists are talking to me, I usually need to twist the right one more. Speed gives lift taking pressure off. I also move back in the seat so I can get some support from the tank. I avoid going downhill behind slow traffic (requires twisting the right wrist). The more I ride and the faster I go, the less I hurt.
best advice i have ever seen for a newb */sarcasm*

same as above...relax...stick your elbows out and lean over the tank, use the lower body. balls of your feet on the pegs not your arch. that will help with using the lower body...you might also think about adjusting the clip ons to better suit your body type.

also, try to keep the wrist as straight as possible use more of your fingers to actuate the controls. padded gloves and/or foam grips go a long way too

·
Registered
131 Posts
On long rides I tend to make sure my elbows are well bent and tucked into my sides so i dont put strain on my wrists.

Normal day to day riding you will get used to it in a week or so of reguler use.

I also have a damper fitted so although I dont let go of the bars I have a very relaxed grip.

I use mine as a courier bike and do 1000kms a week plus whatever happens on the weekend.

·
Registered
759 Posts
One other thing regarding wrists: make sure your brake and clutch levers are adjusted so that you don't have bend in your wrist. You want your arm, wrist and fingers to be in a straight line when resting on the lever. Having to bend the wrist to reach the lever (usually lever up too high) can be a source of pain and/or cramps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.