Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive searched and looked in the manuel but i couldnt find if the chain should be measured by pushing up and down as far as the chain can move(as far as possible) or just pushing up pulling down softly (measuring only free play in chain). each technique provides a different reading by about an inch or 3/4.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I would think you just measure "free play" as you say. Thats how I do it anyways.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i am not at home now so i am just going by what my memory serves me but if yer measureing the chain stretch you need to measure the links 20 i believe, with a some wight on the chain. i dont remember the extact # of everything...but i can get them when i get home....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no not chain stretch, chain slack. my chain has 1500 miles on it. i know its not time to replace it yet which is why you would measure the stretch.. i just want to get my chain adjusted so its not too tight or too loose. i went to a larger rear sprocket and had the chain too tight after install because i measured as far up and down as the chain would go with force. now it is adjusted to just the slack and it seems to be too loose with 1 1/4 inches of free play with no force.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's what I do. Grab a tape measure. Extend tape measure about 1 foot or so and place the end on the ground, holding tape measure vertically in place near the chain.
Using one finger, I push down on the chain, the bottom part of the chain. Note the measurement, now put your finger under the chain and push up on the chain. Note the measurement. Subtract these two figures and you will have your free play maesurement.

Now spin the wheel one or two rotations and repeat the above process. If the measurements are the same as the first than the chain is fine, if not than the chain may be wearing un evenly and it might be time for a new one. I usually check the chain free play at four different spots to get a general idea of what's happening.

Also, don't forget to check the chain free play both before you tighten up the axle nut and after. Usually my chain will be adjusted perfectly while the axle nut is loose, but when it's tightened and torqued dwon the chain will usually tighten up, alot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That is fine. You can tighten it a bit if you like, but that is fine. You do measure loose chain without forcing it.

Ten times better too loose than too tight. The worst thing I see at insepctions is chains too tight, I have seen maybe one chain too loose in all the years I have inspected, usually see one every track day too tight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie
That is fine. You can tighten it a bit if you like, but that is fine. You do measure loose chain without forcing it.

Ten times better too loose than too tight. The worst thing I see at insepctions is chains too tight, I have seen maybe one chain too loose in all the years I have inspected, usually see one every track day too tight.
Why?[?]

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
my dealer told me to keep a 1/2 inch of slack. i push up and down to without force and keep about a 1/2" play. i've never had any trouble doing it like that and i don't get that chain slap noise while riding.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Why? Because a too loose chain flops around. A too tight chain puts pressure on the countershaft bearing (the bearing that holds the front sprocket shaft) and will destroy the bearing, which means cracking the cases to replace it.

If you believe your dealer over the manual you deserve what you get. Chains have tight spots, and 1/2 inch slack is not nearly enough to allow the chain to move freely. good luck.

And, to make it worse, the chain is tightest when the suspension compresses and the swingarm is flat and in a stright line in relation to the countershaft sprocket. If it is too tight, in addition to destroying the bearing, it also binds the movement up and down of the swingarm.

I see guys maket the chain tight because it looks neat. Bad idea.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Don't forget that a too tight chain can break and slap the crankcase and bye bye motor.

I give her about 1-1/2 inches of play at the center. oh, and lube that puppy once every 300-500 miles. More if you ride in wet weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.