Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the manual says that the default (lowest) suspension preload setting is for the average (!) 150lb total weight of a geared-up rider, but it doesn't say what to set it to for a 250lb rider (I'm working on lowering that!). Can I assume that the highest setting is for the bike's weight limit (375lb) and just figure it out from that?

IIRC, it has 10 pre-load settings with 150lb being the first, so I figure the remaining 9 settings divide up the remaining 225lbs of load capacity meaning that each setting adds 25lbs of load capacity.

01 - 150
02 - 175
03 - 200
04 - 225
05 - 250
06 - 275
07 - 300
08 - 325
09 - 350
10 - 375

So, being 250lbs, I'd set the preload level to 6 in order to accomodate for gear, gas, tank-bag, etc, right?

Also, because I rode it from the dealer back to a family member's house through twisty mountain roads, I was getting used to it on the suspension it was given to me with (presumably and according to the manual, that'd be the default of "1"). Because I was told that it changes the handling considerably, I did not want to go changing it just before a 500mi ride home on the Interstate (first time rider). I figured it would be safest to adjust it after I safely got the bike home. I (painfully) went through with it and now a friend is telling me that it was "bad" for the bike. If so, how? Is he right? I thought it was mostly for comfort and handling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, there are only 5 preload positions. I wouldn't think riding in position 1 would hurt anything, but it probably handled poorly. Just a WAG, but for you I'd think 4 or 5 would be better. Try each and see which one feels better.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Other threads have suggested that setting it too high can induce headshake or even the dreaded tank slapper. Don't make too big a jump in settings or set it way over what you need for your weight thinking it will improve handling.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
What year is your bike? Pregens have no shock preload adjustment, the 08s have 5. If yours has 10 settings, something's not right.

So... which setting do you presently have yours set?

·
Registered
298 Posts
maybe he is confusing his 600 for a 250 :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What year is your bike? Pregens have no shock preload adjustment, the 08s have 5. If yours has 10 settings, something's not right.

So... which setting do you presently have yours set?
My bike was in the shop for the 600mi service, so I was trying to recall the amount of preload adjustments for the '08 250R. IIRC = If I Recall Correctly. I clearly didn't recall correctly. ;) I got the bike back, but I haven't checked because it started raining on the way home and never let up. :(

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
My bike was in the shop for the 600mi service, so I was trying to recall the amount of preload adjustments for the '08 250R. IIRC = If I Recall Correctly. I clearly didn't recall correctly. ;)
Okay... :)

There are 5 preload settings on the 08. It comes set on the softest (let's call that 5) when you buy the bike. For your weight, I would try bumping it up a notch or two (# 4 or 3). Ride it and see how it feels. When you go too much, the rear end will feel harsh and stiff for you, then back it down one. How you ride the bike and the type of riding you do will will determine the final setting.

As far as I know, other than the rider getting a sore ass, setting it too high will not do any harm to the bike.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay... :)

There are 5 preload settings on the 08. It comes set on the softest (let's call that 5) when you buy the bike. For your weight, I would try bumping it up a notch or two (# 4 or 3). Ride it and see how it feels. When you go too much, the rear end will feel harsh and stiff for you, then back it down one. How you ride the bike and the type of riding you do will will determine the final setting.

As far as I know, other than the rider getting a sore ass, setting it too high will not do any harm to the bike.
Thanks. I took it from 1 (according to the manual) all the way to four and I'm now checking to see if I should back it down a bit (probably). Doesn't feel that much different but that's probably because I never really got a feel for it before with my sore/numb rear after the 500mi Interstate ride. :D

I did go over some train tracks and noted that it didn't feel so rough. Thanks again for the help. My main concern was whether or not it could have damaged the bike to ride on suspension set for so much less weight. I'll take it from here. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts