Status
Not open for further replies.

Pros and Cons of a 2000 ZX6R

5K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Enjoy Life 
#1 ·
My reasons for going with the 6R over the F4:
-Performance, I love the way the 6R handles
-Comfort, the 6R is much more comfortable then the F4
-Looks, I like the dual headlights on the 6R, the fairings, and the green of course.

------

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

See less See more
#2 ·
The 2000 ZX-6R:
1. makes more power than the F4 and even the F4i. It's the F3 that can stand up to the ZX-6R;
2. is more comfortable;
3. even if you tip it over on its front to make it handle more lightly, it will do 240 kph without even a headshake.
4. Not everybody wants one, and not everybody should have one [^]

#3 ·
how is the suspension? i read this about a 03 6r:

When I first started riding the twisties the suspension was bouncy in the rear. I also noticed some head shake on rougher roads or when accelerating on a rough exit. I tweaked and played with the settings and finally came up with:

Front: Preload--- 8 lines showing
Rebound--- 6 clicks
Compression-- 10 clicks
Rear: Preload--- 8.1mm thread showing above the collar
Rebound--- 6 turns out from fully in
Compression-- 6 turns out from fully in

This resulted in a more stable front end and not as much rear bounce at speed over rougher pavement. The bike felt much more stable under acceleration out of a turn, my transitions felt more in control, and the bike retained the sharp "turnability" on entrance. It seems to just want to fall over with ease in turns and I have not experienced anything but minor headshake on rough road, which I have no problem with. It also allowed me to slide out the rear more comfortably without the spongy feeling I got before. When I pick my line this bike sticks to it effortlessly. It just felt planted. My exits are much smoother and I couldn't be happier.

#5 ·
StiCcKyFiNgAaZ,

Admittedly the suspension and stock suspension settings are the letdown of the ZX6R as against the F4 -- Kawasaki can't seem to get that right. That can be refined with a little tweaking tho.

The '03 and the 2000-2002 models provide similarly stable platforms, but the latter are not as intimidating as the '03. Friendlier, so to speak.

If you want to put another perspective on your question, you might want to check out another MO shootout -- between the '01 ZX6R (which barely changed from the 2K model) and the Honda VFR:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/touring/01vfr6r.motml

Red6R: Is that the F4 I see running ... ahem ... 4th? [^]

#6 ·
Why should I buy a 2000 ZX6R vs. a CBR600 F4?

You shouldn't... Having owned a '00 zx6r and a '99 f4 I will give you my honest opinions. Both are close in weight (within 6 or 7 pounds dry) but the f4 feels allot lighter and steering is allot quicker. The 6r seems bulky and the f4 is more narrow. Both are about the same in comfort the 6r does have a higher seat. I never had any suspension problems with either (the 03 is a different story). As for power I have seen many different dyno charts on both bikes none of which were alike. I think the f4 is definitely has more power and faster. The f4 seems to have more bottom end power with out sacrificing top end. I do like the front end with the dual headlights on the 6r better. And yes I do currently own a Kawasaki 2003 has been a big step-up. Now guys don't break my balls its just my opinion.

#8 ·
I kept the 6r for about 9 months and still have the f4. I owned them both at the same time but sold the 6r because I liked the f4 allot more and one had to go. The day after I sold the 6r the transmission locked up and I mean locked up including the rear wheel while the guy was doing 60. He didn't wreck thank God!That made me allot happier I sold it.

#10 ·
Cool -- don't worry, I won't be flaming anybody.

StiCcKyFiNgAaZ -- I guess you know what this means, don't you? Get the '03! [:p]

Nah, seriously, it's a matter of personal choice. As is oft-repeated in the 600cc shoot-outs, there is no bad bike in the class, and each will appeal to a different type of rider, the choice reflecting what the rider values more. Usability vs. a bad-ass rep, this headlight vs. that swing-arm, etc.

But after all the spec-comparing and question-asking, there remains an emotional component to motorcycling. For me, it came down to desire -- the others simply didn't do it for me. It may go that way for you too [^]

#15 ·
I like the 98-02 6R's a heck of a lot better than the F4. Never rode the F4i, but it's farily similar. But when comparing the 6R's to the F4, I found a big diff.

Handeling was about par, with tires being the biggest factor. Whatever one has better rubber will handle better. Comfort...about even. The F4 was WAY higher bars, it felt like a goldwing to me LOL, the rest is basically the same. I found the F4 to be slightly higher that the 6R. I could touch the ground better on the 6R...Might have more to do with the shape of the seat than the seat height...I'm a shortie :) The biggest thing was the power...it definatly did not pull as hard as the 6R. And the stock can barely lets out a peep at all.

The F4 doesn't do anythign wrong/bad at all, I'm not knocking it. I just enjoy the 6R more. Expect to pay more for the honda, all things being equal. That's hondas ace, reasale value.

#17 ·
Originally posted by Andy_7676

you'd be surprised how many people ask me what kinda exhuast I'm running, and when I tell them it's stock, they look at me funny....

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!
I get asked that same question quite a bit too.

#19 ·
Here's another reason to buy a 2000 ZX6R...

A single person with the proper tools can strip one down to a pile of parts ready to be sold off in under 10 hours time ;)

BC.

------

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

#21 ·
Originally posted by aznridr

Originally posted by StiCcKyFiNgAaZ

what about carb icing?
does that happen with bikes? I know it is common among carbed planes, but bikes?

------

Stress is only caused by oneself.
someone said it happens on kawis, but i dunno?

how much would you pay for a 2000 ZX-6r with ~6000 miles?

2000 zx6r, red with silver flames, polished wheel lips, fender eliminator, integrator, double bubble screen, flush mounts in the front, 1 tooth down in the front, full Muzzy Titanium ($1000), carbon fiber triple tree cover, 7k miles ( really less because of the tooth down), runs, rides , shifts perfect

#22 ·
Carb icing can happen on just about any bike, not just Kawi's.

In a basic definition, it's caused by the pressure change of the air when it gets into your air intake/ram air. If it's cold outside, like 2-3C (35-38F) the pressure change going into the airbox will be enough to drop the air below freezing, which can collect in the carbs.

------

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.