Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I bought a new 2006 ZX-6R, loved it for 30,000 miles, and sold it about 7 months ago. I just picked up a 2005 ZX-10R with a bunch of problems but I still love the bike tremendously.

The issues the dealership found are:

-Fuel pump has rust inside (they said this will destroy fuel pump over time)
-Two broken engine mounts on the left side
-Cracked engine case by a bolt on the mid ride side (they said it could be JB welded but they aren't authorized to do it)
-Both forks are leaking oil
-Cam position sensor is leaking
-Wires/hoses all "incorrectly" routed
-Wiring harness is all spliced up
-Speedo does not register speed, but it does register RPM's (may be becase of wiring harness all spliced up)
-Radiator is bent and damaged

They said it was probably an old track/race bike. The brake fluid resorviors have been removed. I paid $4800 and the dealer thinks I paid too much. They are probably right considering all the issues. I wouldn't mind taking the time to learn how to fix it myself, however. I know that I would just appreciate it that much more because this model ZX-10R is my FAVORITE BIKE OF ALL TIME.

It has the following extras:

Akrapovic slip-on exhaust
K&N air filter
GPR steering stabilizer
Galfer braided brake lines
CF motorsports rearsets
Woodcraft clipons
NRC case side covers
Spike frame sliders
HID headlights (makes nightime riding MUCH safer)
Smoked tail lens with integrated turn signals
Smoked front turn signals
Vortex gas cap
Fender eliminator
New rear tire, front still has plenty of tread left
New brake pads
White powder-coated rims, triple clamp, rear foot pegs

Total repair estimate is "only" just over $6700!!! :eek: Of course that's dealer prices and labor costs. I can do most of the work myself, but what would you guys do? How much would you sell it for or would you just try to fix it up? The frame does in fact only have one tiny little scratch and the bike "feels" and rides perfectly straight. Motor feels great and i love the look.

It has this almost new fairing kit and it actually looks good with the white wheels:

Google Image Result for http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/205/495/770/kawasaki-fairing-zx-10r-04-05-ninja-west-race-f9b32.jpg

I appreciate any advise or input and it's great to be back!

-Anthony

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like you bought it from someone who failed at doing their own work. And it couldn't have been a track bike because it wouldn't have had HIDs, smoked signsals, or powder-coated rims if it was. Might have been someone who thought it would be "cool" to get some performance modifications to make 'em go "fast" in the straight lines.

What are the current miles? Has it been down or other damage? And where are you located? With $6,700 worth of problems to fix an insurance company would total the thing if it was their decision to repair or replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude, $4,800 was WAY too much money for that thing. WAY too much. Some punk ragged that thing out. I can see him now riding down the street in a t-shirt and a pair of Nike sneakers, probably parking it outside his trailer every night and let it get rained on. I just bought a brand new 2008 ZX-10r this year with no miles on it, fresh out of the crate for $7,800, never had gas or any fluids put in it. The dealership just hadn't sold it yet. What a difference $3,000 made! Fixer uppers are NOT the way to go, just pay a little extra and get one that's been taken care of. Fixer uppers will cost you much more in the end, many more headaches, and it takes a long time before you can really enjoy it. I know, I own 4 "fixer upper" cars that I bought with a lot of problems and I have sunk THOUSANDS into them and they all still suck. Try to get rid of that thing to someone else for as much as you can get out of it and buy another one. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sounds like you bought it from someone who failed at doing their own work. And it couldn't have been a track bike because it wouldn't have had HIDs, smoked signsals, or powder-coated rims if it was. Might have been someone who thought it would be "cool" to get some performance modifications to make 'em go "fast" in the straight lines.

What are the current miles? Has it been down or other damage? And where are you located? With $6,700 worth of problems to fix an insurance company would total the thing if it was their decision to repair or replace.
Well, the guy was a squid when he rolled up with his hat and sunglasses. However, the brake reservoirs have been removed and my brother said he did mention something about the track. The current mileage is 20,500 BUT the speedo doesn't work and does not add miles so it could potentially have WAY more. The guy said the chassis had 20,000 and the motor had 10,000 but I don't believe a word he said. Unfortunately I only have liability insurance! I live in Mesa, AZ btw.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dude, $4,800 was WAY too much money for that thing. WAY too much. Some punk ragged that thing out. I can see him now riding down the street in a t-shirt and a pair of Nike sneakers, probably parking it outside his trailer every night and let it get rained on. I just bought a brand new 2008 ZX-10r this year with no miles on it, fresh out of the crate for $7,800, never had gas or any fluids put in it. The dealership just hadn't sold it yet. What a difference $3,000 made! Fixer uppers are NOT the way to go, just pay a little extra and get one that's been taken care of. Fixer uppers will cost you much more in the end, many more headaches, and it takes a long time before you can really enjoy it. I know, I own 4 "fixer upper" cars that I bought with a lot of problems and I have sunk THOUSANDS into them and they all still suck. Try to get rid of that thing to someone else for as much as you can get out of it and buy another one. Just my two cents.
THAT'S SO FUNNY that you mention the t-shirt and Nike sneakers because that's EXACTLY what he wore when he rolled up (also wearing a hat and sunglass). SQUID. I was dumb enough to buy it for that much because I love this model and it was a stupid impulse buy.

The dealership wouldn't even take the bike as a trade in....FML!

The frame only has 1 TINY scratch that I can see and the bike does "feel" straight. But man, it's worrisome not knowing if I'm riding a ticking time bomb.

Maybe I should have made the title to this thread..."Not so proud new 2005 ZX-10R owner." The bike does LOOK awesome not that that counts for much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
THAT'S SO FUNNY that you mention the t-shirt and Nike sneakers because that's EXACTLY what he wore when he rolled up (also wearing a hat and sunglass). SQUID. I was dumb enough to buy it for that much because I love this model and it was a stupid impulse buy.

The dealership wouldn't even take the bike as a trade in....FML!

The frame only has 1 TINY scratch that I can see and the bike does "feel" straight. But man, it's worrisome not knowing if I'm riding a ticking time bomb.

Maybe I should have made the title to this thread..."Not so proud new 2005 ZX-10R owner." The bike does LOOK awesome not that that counts for much.
ARGH! I knew it! And the funny thing is, a guy like that probably genuinely believed it was a fair deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts