Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home last night about 8 or so and a damn cop pulls me over. I was going about 68 in a 65. He he comes up to me and starts bitching at me that i need to be more carefull and take care of my bike before i start riding it. I was like "what the hell are you talkig about". i said ok i was speeding but the bike is very clean and since its an '03 there is not a damn thing wrong with it. He told me to walk around the front and pointed to the "burnt out headlight" (my bright light). Dumb [email protected] cop.

So i said look, before you pull people over for shit like this why dont you learn some stuff about sportbikes and i turned on my bright light to which he was really really embarassed, jumped in his car and drove off.

dumb cop!!

this is the second time that has happened to me with a cop.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I've been pulled over 4 times for having "1" headlight, then calmly flipping the high beam switch and receiving an apology from the Officer. There are so many cruisers where I'm from, most of the Police Agencies have no clue about our bikes.
I asked them nicely to spread the word...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
That does suck. I thought it would have been an excuse to check you for other reasons until Parli said it happened to him.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I always ride with my brights on!:DAfter the fourth or fifth person stopped at a light and told me a head light was out I just kept my brights on.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Agreed, run with your brights on. I road tested a 6R in spring this year and got pulled. I was in Alabama. Of course the cop went away after a quick show of the brights, and afterwards I rode with the brights on the rest of the test. Wonder huh? I hope they change it for next year, I was thinking they should a daylight dual beam option or something like that. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yeah they should really have both lights running on low. That's one of the few things i don't like about the 636 is the way the lights are setup.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I thought that was a little weird myself...

I have ridden with my high beams on but found that at least once every time I rode I was getting flashed back......

how bright could a bike's high beams really be?? is it bright enough to warrant somebody flashing you back???

no rush on the reply...with this rain I might not get out for another month...

·
Registered
36 Posts
haha, how bright? At night I always get people flashing their highbeams at me when I only have my regular lights on! So I flash my highbeams at them just to make them feel dumb.... the little things make me happy...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The 03's have some pretty damn bright lights. A buddy of mine was riding mine while I was on his zx-9 and he was bihind me and they are BRIGHT!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had just ordered some hyper white lights for my bike so my light a extra bright and sometimes i think they are brighter than the "bright light".

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just a quick technical note: The "high beam" is sometimes referred to as "brights" because the light seems brighter, but technically, it isn't necessarily brighter. There are two filaments in the bulb, and the high beam filament is set off center causing the light to deflect up higher- hence the term "high beam", making it seem brighter since the light is more directly pointing at on coming traffic. Of course there are lights that are brighter than others due to different types of filaments. It is strange that the cop would be convinced by the high beams being turned on, because in cars it is possible for the head lamp filament to be burnt out, but the high beam still operational.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is extremely annoying to have people keep telling me that I have a headlight out. Honda is like this too, I think... Yammie's aren't.
I want to complain like a motherfucka to kawi about this. Does anyone know the number to their customer service. Maybe they willl do something about it.
What if the day light goes out, then I have no light... Brutal

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Originally posted by Lonwez

Just a quick technical note: The "high beam" is sometimes referred to as "brights" because the light seems brighter, but technically, it isn't necessarily brighter. There are two filaments in the bulb, and the high beam filament is set off center causing the light to deflect up higher- hence the term "high beam", making it seem brighter since the light is more directly pointing at on coming traffic. Of course there are lights that are brighter than others due to different types of filaments. It is strange that the cop would be convinced by the high beams being turned on, because in cars it is possible for the head lamp filament to be burnt out, but the high beam still operational.
Uhh, hello McFly! Anybody in there?

There are two filaments in the dual filament bulbs, that's true. One is above the other, that is also true. But that's all you got right on this one.

The two filaments have entirely different resistances. In a typical bulb, the "low beam" filament is rated at 55 watts, while the "high beam" filament is rated at 65 watts. That's what makes the light brighter, not the position of the filament in the bulb.

That statement was right up there at the top on my list of the most wrong statements I've ever heard.

BC.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
lol Blade.

Daniel: I already installed the Hyper Whites. Their pretty kick ass. Make sure you get the right ones...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by Phish

It is extremely annoying to have people keep telling me that I have a headlight out. Honda is like this too, I think... Yammie's aren't.
I want to complain like a motherfucka to kawi about this. Does anyone know the number to their customer service. Maybe they willl do something about it.
What if the day light goes out, then I have no light... Brutal
ALL of the '03 600's and most of today's high performance bikes are like this. The CBR600RR, GSX-R600/750/1000, the R6, etc etc ALL have single sided lows, it's the way sportbikes are today. The current Yamahas DO have single-sided lows.

As for if your light goes out, the pre-2000 ZX6R's and MOST older sportbikes only HAD one light. Didn't seem to be such an issue back then. If it happens to burn out, run with your high beams until you get it replaced.

Try clicking here if you still feel like "complaining like a -----" over Kawasaki being just like every other modern sportbike in this regard. Click on the 'contact us' link on the bottom of the page.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.