Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

About a week ago I wrecked my 2003 ZZR600 when a car pulled out in front of me and the right side of bike hit the side of their car when i tried swerving. Luckily I didn't lay it down but still badly damaged. Wasn't really planning on trying to fix it to ride again but I would like to either sell the engine or use in something else.

On the right side of the bike what I think is called the "pulsing cover" was sheered off and gone and now all is left is the 2 good bolt holes on front and the 2 on back that are broken. I was wondering if their is anyway to fix this? This is the only damage on the whole engine and I would hate to trash it because of what seems like a small problem.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts

Not sure what kind of alum the case is made out of but it's probably weldable as most alum alloys are. Build up the broken areas and re-tap the threads and it would be good as new. Cost however might be an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Not sure what kind of alum the case is made out of but it's probably weldable as most alum alloys are. Build up the broken areas and re-tap the threads and it would be good as new. Cost however might be an issue.
Thank You for advice. What do you think about using JB Weld or something similar and covering the broken area then drilling and tapping?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Thank You for advice. What do you think about using JB Weld or something similar and covering the broken area then drilling and tapping?
You could try it. Just make sure to really clean the area well with acetone or another heavy duty de-greaser so the epoxy will stick.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The two back bolt holes are going to be tricky to repair. I don't think welding or epoxy will be an option, but you could always ask a local welder. They are pretty ingenious and always surprise me with what they can do. Any small fragments would be helpful for the repair.

I don't think that cover holds oil, so it's not like you need four perfect bolts to keep it covered.

If you don't find an answer here, I'd post in the ZZR 600 Facebook owner group.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go the jb weld route but make it solid to drill & tap later ( you can use the cover as a guide)
I would reinforce the jb weld with fiber glass. JB gets runny about 10 mins after mixing, when this starts to happen
a heat gun or hair dryer will get you past this stage quickly. Practice on something else first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts