Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't you pump your own gas in NJ???

I'm going there on vacation this week and taking my bike.
I don't want some snot nose 15 year old scratching my fucking tank or getting gas on it [:M53]

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,866 Posts
Yeah, that kinda caught me off guard...I took a road trip through most of the US (loop from FL up and over to St. Louis, up to visit family in SD and MN, then across through WI, PA, and into NJ/NY then down south along the coast...I was doing fine with assimilating into cultures until some punkass yelled at me for trying to pump my own damn gas. lol...crazy. I guess it cuts down on the drive-offs, though, huh?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Motorcyles pump their own gas in NJ. A gas attendent might pass you the nozzle and set up the machine but other then that you do the rest.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,866 Posts
Originally posted by trashmonkey
okay, so what is the reason for this??? I've heard of it, but was never told the reason.
I'd guess drive offs...pumping and taking off without paying. If they pump you're gas, they're also staring at your license plate for a few minutes straight.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 02ZX6R
Motorcyles pump their own gas in NJ. A gas attendent might pass you the nozzle and set up the machine but other then that you do the rest.
Originally posted by jaybyrd
don't worry they don't fuck with the bikes you will be pumping your own gas ;)
Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Most of the pumps here in TN are pay at the pump (credit/debit card) or prepay only... aren't many left that are not set up that way here, seems like an easier way than having someone pump your gas.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
lol its called full service guys.i pump my own gas though

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
its illegal in Jersey...why? not sure....but we're supposed to be changing the law soon

don't worry about retards pumping your gas - I don't even have to ask. the guy always hands me the nozzle right away and just sets up the machine for me.

they actually refuse to pump gas for you. a couple times ive been busy so i was like "no its OK you can pump it" but they insisted. i said that it was OK but they refused to get anywhere close to my bike.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
The state's prohibition against self-service gasoline stations dates to 1949, when a group of gas-station operators banded together against Irving Reingold, a businessman who opened a huge service station along Route 17 in Hackensack.

Reingold's concept of "self-service pumps and low prices" appealed to many motorists, but full-service station owners lobbied successfully to make it illegal.

But others say the law sprang from safety concerns after motorists were injured filling their own gas tanks.

Nevertheless, they wont touch your bike unless you tell them to. They know better.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Originally posted by cyberdos
The state's prohibition against self-service gasoline stations dates to 1949, when a group of gas-station operators banded together against Irving Reingold, a businessman who opened a huge service station along Route 17 in Hackensack.

Reingold's concept of "self-service pumps and low prices" appealed to many motorists, but full-service station owners lobbied successfully to make it illegal.

But others say the law sprang from safety concerns after motorists were injured filling their own gas tanks.

Nevertheless, they wont touch your bike unless you tell them to. They know better.
Thank you Cliff Claven :D.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I was told OR has mandatory full service because of their unemployment problem. I remember the first time I stopped for gas in that state, they yelled at me for trying to pump my own gas[}:)]

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is correct for some odd reason they think its OK to raise the gas prices to gove some guy a job pumping gas. I don't care when I'm in the Cage but they never get within 6 feet of the bike I use an Exxon Speed Pass so they don't bother me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here is the messed up theing.....NJ has the LOWEST gas taxes by 20c and has for a very long time, and for a long time jersey has had lower prices too....not anymore

·
Registered
381 Posts
full service creates jobs...which, in turn, benefits our economy

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Actually....its because we have five oil refineries in our state, which lowers the cost of refining and transport, which in turn lowers gas prices.

One added benefit is that lovely smell [:p]

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yet gas is still 20c a gallon cheaper in upstate ny and pennsy....never in my life have I gone home to see my family and see that....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.