Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was washing my bike and suddenly i noticed very small bubbles coming out of my rear tire. It has a very small hole like a needle and the air is coming out very very slowly but its still a puncture.

So should I try to fix the puncture or replace the tire ? This is my first tire puncture ever in my 3 yrs of riding.. (*knock on the wood*).

Are any sealants available which i can inject in the tire ? Also do i have to take it to the kawasaki dealership ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
685 Posts
many people just seal the tire, but i would replace it. You only have 2 wheels on your bike, might as well have both of them up to par.

No you dont have to take to Kawi dealer, any shop will do as long as they know what they are doing. By that I mean dont mount your tire on backwards, scratch up your rims while installing new tire, and know how to balance properly.

Save some cash and take the wheel off yourself, and bring in the tire and wheel. Should run you about 20-30 bucks plus price of new tire.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many people just seal the tire, but i would replace it. You only have 2 wheels on your bike, might as well have both of them up to par.

No you dont have to take to Kawi dealer, any shop will do as long as they know what they are doing. By that I mean dont mount your tire on backwards, scratch up your rims while installing new tire, and know how to balance properly.

Save some cash and take the wheel off yourself, and bring in the tire and wheel. Should run you about 20-30 bucks plus price of new tire.
does fix-a-flat work for this small puncture ? Yeah i should change the tire but.. that would be bit expensive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
there are two schools of thought here... one adamantly opposes the repair of a compromised tire, while the other swears by the repairs they've received, the difference being how it impacts your wallet :)

If I didnt have the cash for new rubber, I'd definitely not go with a tire sealer... A plug is preferable since the sealer can collect in one part of the tire and throw the balance off... something which you've likely been told... So far i've only heard anecdotal evidence on the dangers of repaired tires...

I say save yourself $180 bucks and find a tire guy able to do the proper repair... dont try and do it yourself...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup that makes sense. I already have around 13000 miles on the tire but I don't want to change it right now.

I will fix this puncture and will save up so that I can change both front and rear together.

·
Registered
38 Posts
13,000 miles on the tire? Nice ! fill me in on what tire your running... might have to get me a set of those in the near future...

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Don't use Fix-a-flat. That's designed as a temporary fix to get you home safely so that you can replace the tire. I've read that Fix-a-flat over time deteriorates the inside of the tire.

You can plug the hole with a kit you can find anywhere. A motorcycle shop or the dealer can remove the tire and put a plug patch in that will work better than just a standard plug. I've had the standard plugs still leak slowly, so I said f it and bought a new tire. No problems in the last 35,000 miles or so (knock on wood).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
13,000 miles on the tire? Nice ! fill me in on what tire your running... might have to get me a set of those in the near future...
My rear tire is bridgestone battlax bt016 triple compound. Has a very good grip on the sides and the middle part is hard. After 13,000 miles have around 3 inches of flat in the center.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
If you go for a repair, have the tyre taken off, checked and repaired internally by a tyre fitter.

Unless the tyre has a couple of thousand miles or more of its life left the cost makes it not a good option - for the UK it's about £30 for a proper repair, so US$ 40 - 50 if you take the wheel off yourself?

I'm running a tyre now that was repaired at about 1K miles and I've had no problems with it - now up to 5K miles. Don't rely on an externally fitted plug - they're for get you home only - and don't ever rely on sealants.

A tyre with 13K miles on it is probably best replaced. Repair won't be cost effective.

Rob

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
i fixed mine myself

I'm the first to admit i do as little work on my bike that i can, just due to the lack of knowledge required, but i hit a nail the other week, and fixed my tire myself, using the following

bicycle pump (to inflate the tire enough to get to the air compressor)
needle nose pliers
7$ tire repair kit from auto store.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
i have used the plug to repair rear tires so many times i lost track, never had an issue with even a slow leak. i wouldnt dare plug a front though. but then again, i am a cheap bastard. hell, i even change my own tires at home. i hate the feeling of paying someone 30-45 bucks to do something that takes them 10 minutes. balance? google or youtube it. fairly simple. HOWEVER! if i were to hit a track day or even "rode it like i stole it" i would insist on flawless rubber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts