Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a GPR stabilizer from a shop on EBAY. That may have been my mistake but after I installed it, the bike seemed to sway left to right at slow speeds. I kept riding it because everyone told me that it just took some getting used to. I took it to a local shop today for suspension adjustment and when the mechanic took it for a test rided, he asked me if I noticed the sway. It makes you fight the bars to keep the bike in a straight line. I told him yes and he said he didn't think the bike was rideable. We worked on it for about an hour but I eventually took it off and rode home, it was much better. Could this be a bad damper or can my steering be off and the damper is making it noticeable?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Swaying left to right is extremely strange...never heard of one of those before. A damper that's too tight will practically lock out the steering.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the bikes preload is all set right?

+1 for all ZX9R's not needing steering dampers unless you set them up for the track [:p]

failing that, get a decent damper like a scotts that has high and low speed adjustments... about $400 for a kit tho

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the GPR set at 1 which is the lowest setting. I don't know if the bike really needed it but I have a friend who swore he went into a tankslapper and it was the scariest thing that he had ever experienced. He talked us all into getting them. I am going to send it to GPR tomorrow to have them check it out. I think it is just that you have to fight the bars to keep it straight and that is where the swaying comes in.

·
Registered
282 Posts
call GPR...they are pretty good about helping you in what you need. It might just need the fluids changed out of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GPR has the best customer service I have ever experienced. I called and spoke to someone in tech support. He gave me a few things to try and told me to call back if it didn't work. I called back and he shipped me a new one that I received the next day along with a return label for the old one. Although the original one was new, there was a problem with it because the bike rides fine now. :D

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
I have a Scott's/Ohlins damper on my '02. It was not a requirement, but it sure smooths out the ride on high speed corners. I haven't experienced anything like what you're describing, either before or after installing it (and I've tried various settings).

Glad to hear they resolved the problem for you - I'm curious what they found that would cause the oscillation...

·
Registered
367 Posts
scotts have very good customer support too, gf was fitting one to her 954RR and she was worried it wasnt going on right (looked like the grub screws were sitting too high in the groove) but they were very helpful ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
i have an 03, and i think a damper is a waste of money. Have you ever had a headshake on this bike? If not why try to fix something that's not broken? High speeds, low speeds, nice pavement, horrible frost heaved New Hampshire pavement, my bike has always been rock solid. Even 150mph over nasty highway exspansion joints doesn't seem to unsettle her in the slightest.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"...my bike has always been rock solid. Even 150mph over nasty highway exspansion joints doesn't seem to unsettle her in the slightest..."
And this is why I love Kawi's and why I try to explain that to others in the market to buy a bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would like to eventually get a dampner for my bike. It doesn't shake it's head like the ZX-10 does, but when riden near it's limit will show some headshake. It isn't real bad, but is enough to make me wish it wasn't there lol.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by apexieclipse
i have an 03, and i think a damper is a waste of money. Have you ever had a headshake on this bike? If not why try to fix something that's not broken? High speeds, low speeds, nice pavement, horrible frost heaved New Hampshire pavement, my bike has always been rock solid. Even 150mph over nasty highway exspansion joints doesn't seem to unsettle her in the slightest.
Just because something isn't "broken" doesn't mean it can't be improved on... My 9 never showed any bad manners before the damper, but after installing one, cornering on rough pavement was noticably less dramatic than it had been before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.