Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have been riding for about 8 years and currently own a 2008 ZX-10R. I'm getting to the point where I don't see the need for super sport motorcycles on the street. They are just too twitchy and uncomfortable. And I am a 100% street rider. I was looking at the Ninja 650R and was just asking for some feedback from current owners. First off the bikes power, I figure it would be pretty linear being a twin. And the tune-ability of the suspension, do the forks need new internals. I weigh 190lbs so most bikes need suspension work that I ride, I also consider myself a pretty fast/aggressive canyon rider. Does the shock need re-sprung? Is the gearing long in the tooth ( tall gearing )? I've been looking at pics an see there is a decent aftermarket parts world for this bike as well. Feedback from current owners would be great, considering this is the largest 650R community I have found, oh and I would be purchasing the 09+ model.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The power band isnt as linear as you think, the bike actually produces a good amount of low end torque, the power seems to tapper off in the top end, not a whole lot of grunt over 100MPH. I hear the power commander really helps out with that, i will be installing mine this week. Handling could use some tuning. I would suggest you get some sport bars for it as well as upgrade the front forks, i believe the 636 forks can be a direct swap. The factory tires are nothing special, not even a super sport tire, more of a sport touring tire, so you would want to replace those as well. The seat can get a bit rough on long rides (100+ miles). Oh yeah replace the stock muffler, weighs about 32 lbs and is pretty restrictive. Also the stock mirrors vibrate a lot. I havent really looked into a way to fix those yet.

As an overall bike, I love it. Its got some things that could use upgrading, but for a good street motorcycle it gets the job done no problem. Lots of low end torque, good gas mileage, its a light bike, (450lbs wet), so throwing it around in the corners can be a lot of fun, somewhat similar to riding a 250 in the twisties. Does well on the highways. NO back problems at all riding this bike, i rode mine yesterday on a 240 mile trip around Michigan, the only thing sore was my ass afterwards. Back felt great. For the price and what you get, its a great bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The power band isnt as linear as you think, the bike actually produces a good amount of low end torque, the power seems to tapper off in the top end, not a whole lot of grunt over 100MPH. I hear the power commander really helps out with that, i will be installing mine this week. Handling could use some tuning. I would suggest you get some sport bars for it as well as upgrade the front forks, i believe the 636 forks can be a direct swap. The factory tires are nothing special, not even a super sport tire, more of a sport touring tire, so you would want to replace those as well. The seat can get a bit rough on long rides (100+ miles). Oh yeah replace the stock muffler, weighs about 32 lbs and is pretty restrictive. Also the stock mirrors vibrate a lot. I havent really looked into a way to fix those yet.

As an overall bike, I love it. Its got some things that could use upgrading, but for a good street motorcycle it gets the job done no problem. Lots of low end torque, good gas mileage, its a light bike, (450lbs wet), so throwing it around in the corners can be a lot of fun, somewhat similar to riding a 250 in the twisties. Does well on the highways. NO back problems at all riding this bike, i rode mine yesterday on a 240 mile trip around Michigan, the only thing sore was my ass afterwards. Back felt great. For the price and what you get, its a great bike.
Thanks for the feedback bro. I probably wont go for sport bars, probably clip-one like a super sport. Exhaust will be a must probably go with akrapovic, with a PCV and autotune. As long as I can maybe do some racetech or ohlins internals I would have no need for a swap.

Thanks for the reply. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for the feedback bro. I probably wont go for sport bars, probably clip-one like a super sport. Exhaust will be a must probably go with akrapovic, with a PCV and autotune. As long as I can maybe do some racetech or ohlins internals I would have no need for a swap.

no problem, and just a heads up. There is a new PCV that just came out like this week for the 2009+ 650R model #17-030, this model allows for Timing adjustments. The older models #17-008 only allowed for fuel table adjustments.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no problem, and just a heads up. There is a new PCV that just came out like this week for the 2009+ 650R model #17-030, this model allows for Timing adjustments. The older models #17-008 only allowed for fuel table adjustments.
The ignition module??? If so very nice, im guessing with exhaust PCV, ignition advance, and auto tune there might be a good 10hp to gain out of the bike....from what ive read.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
The power band isnt as linear as you think, the bike actually produces a good amount of low end torque, the power seems to tapper off in the top end, not a whole lot of grunt over 100MPH.
When you describe how a vehicle pulls, reference it to rpm not mph. Saying it doesn't have much pull above 100mph (which you shouldn't be near on the street anyways) really tells the reader nothing. For instance my I-4 600 starts to pull decently at 4000 rpm, then really opens up at about 7000 and pulls hard to 15,000.

For someone like us (the op and I) who don't currently have a twin, that kind of info is much more helpful. From what I understand the 650 is pretty good in low to mid range, then falls on it's face on the top end. What is redline for these bikes anyway? And where does the power tend to raper off?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you describe how a vehicle pulls, reference it to rpm not mph. Saying it doesn't have much pull above 100mph (which you shouldn't be near on the street anyways) really tells the reader nothing. For instance my I-4 600 starts to pull decently at 4000 rpm, then really opens up at about 7000 and pulls hard to 15,000.

For someone like us (the op and I) who don't currently have a twin, that kind of info is much more helpful. From what I understand the 650 is pretty good in low to mid range, then falls on it's face on the top end. What is redline for these bikes anyway? And where does the power tend to raper off?
:cheers: Ive read the same...I also used this chart Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator to see what he was talking about, redline around 9000rpm, and over 100mph is def the topend seeing these dont really go that far over 100 mph. Its gonna be a BIG change when I pull the trigger on one of these.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The reason I used MPH, that is its most noticeable power loss. The gearing and lower HP of the bike doesnt leave much excitement above 100MPH. RPM wise it redlines at 11K rpms I think, starts to get weak around 9.5-10K. Most magazines rate the quartermile times at 12.0-12.1 at 108MPH. If you are familiar with drag racing you will notice that the trap speed is low for that ET.

Randy the PCV 17-030 has both the Powercommander for fuel and the ignition timing control in the same unit, just the power command V. Its a little more expensive than the old one at 399 right now from DynoJet, which is the only place you can get the new one from.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about something like a Z750S or FZ8? Seems like either of those would be a more streetable bike than your ZX-10 while offering more power than the 650R. The FZ8 will be fairly pricey but I've seen some good deals on the Z750S.

The 650R is a fun bike and a much better street bike (IMO) than the ZX-10, but coming off of that bike I'd be afraid you'd be a little disappointed with the power plant. Maybe not, though. Just throwing out other options.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Just a heads up, I have an 08 and you can't install clip-ons unless you use aftermarket bodywork. I don't know about an 09, but for the 08 you are looking at about 400$ for the fairing, plus new mounting brackets, and a 636 windscreen if you go with the Catalyst version.

Be ready for a completely different riding position. It's going to feel extremely 'straight up'. And like somebody else said, you might be really dissapointed with the power. What you could do in 1st gear on your 10, won't happen till 4th gear on your 650R!!

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Just a heads up, I have an 08 and you can't install clip-ons unless you use aftermarket bodywork. I don't know about an 09, but for the 08 you are looking at about 400$ for the fairing, plus new mounting brackets, and a 636 windscreen if you go with the Catalyst version.
Stock upper fairings:

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Alright, I have been riding for about 8 years and currently own a 2008 ZX-10R. I'm getting to the point where I don't see the need for super sport motorcycles on the street. They are just too twitchy and uncomfortable. And I am a 100% street rider. I was looking at the Ninja 650R and was just asking for some feedback from current owners. First off the bikes power, I figure it would be pretty linear being a twin. And the tune-ability of the suspension, do the forks need new internals. I weigh 190lbs so most bikes need suspension work that I ride, I also consider myself a pretty fast/aggressive canyon rider. Does the shock need re-sprung? Is the gearing long in the tooth ( tall gearing )? I've been looking at pics an see there is a decent aftermarket parts world for this bike as well. Feedback from current owners would be great, considering this is the largest 650R community I have found, oh and I would be purchasing the 09+ model.
Suspension, I think, would need some work to satisfy you. A common mod is to fit a 636 front end including the brakes. A cheaper option is to fit cartridge emulators. For the rear you may find a stiffer spring is enough rather than a complete new shock. Stock suspension has no adjustments apart from rear pre-load.

A lot of riders prefer to gear down. I suspect that for canyon riding you'd probably want to do the same. Power curve is pretty linear, but it does need to be pushed past about 6,500 rpm to really come alive.

For your planned use, I'd think hard about the Triumph Street Triple - the 'R' version has much better brakes and suspension than the standard - but it's a bit thirsty, especially compared to the 6f's frugality, and if you want a fairing it doesn't have one. The Daytona - the Street's middleweight supersport brother, has a rather extreme riding position.

If you'r thinking of buying new, you'd spend so much on making the 6f into what you want that it would probably be cheaper to buy a less budget bike to start with.

Rob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stock upper fairings:

No way!! Awesome, I thought for sure you couldn't! To the op... sorry for the bad info!! :(

Jason, could you tell me what brand clip-ons those are, and if you've had any problems with clearance or anything like that. Looks like somebodys sportbars are going up for sale!!!:D

And one more question! Are those 636 forks on your bike? And if they are, will those clipons still work on the 650R's forks? Any info is cool, thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
looks like ohlins forks

I sweet talked my local stealership to let me ride a new 650R, first impressions are....soft front end, stiff rear end. I will prob drop the tripples about 10mm to get some wicked turn in and a more agressive look. Power generated off the bottom is nice, falls on its face after 7000rpm. Good riding position, with clip ons it still would not be as racey as the 10R. Whats up with the rear sets, the riders and passengers are connected?!?! RETARTED. Hopefully there's aftermarket ones to get rid of that mess. The gauge is nice. Would def put some larger tires on it, a 180/55 for the rear. Brakes are good, kawasaki always has good brakes. But will be getting a pad and ss line swap out. I was a little dissapointed with the powerplant as some of you said but am pretty pleased with the bike. the Improved mileage will be awesome, the comefort, and not having to worry about wicked surges of power, i will be able to just wring its neck in the canyons and have a good time. Will def be a purchase. Bad news in im deploying to iraq in 2 weeks and it will be a whole year until I get it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A little clarification please. If you are trying to get away from super sport for comfort, wouldn't the sport bars get you in the riding position you want to get away from?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A little clarification please. If you are trying to get away from super sport for comfort, wouldn't the sport bars get you in the riding position you want to get away from?
Not exactly. I still like the way clip ons feel. If you have thrown a leg over a 10R you would know what i mean. The ergos between the 10R and the 650R (650 w/clip ons) are worlds apart. The position will still be more upright than the 10R.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts