Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experiece using pureONE PL14610 on a 2004 zx12R? How well do they work ?
Thanks guys!:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're asking about fitment, it will fit. Same threads (M20x1.5) as the 4612 just the overall filter length is a bit longer.
Dont see why it would cause any filtration problems either since theres gonna be more filtration area.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i use em on my 6 and it hasnt gave me any problems so far....bike runs like a champ...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use the 4612 VFR (going on 3 years or so) and now using the 4610 on my ER-6N since there is room for it.

Cue the Amsoil guy. LOL I couldn't help it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
For those of you who understand this, Kudo's to you.

For those of you who don't, may GOD have mercy on your bike!

DO NOT use the Pure One filter in a Powersports application!

The media is too dense and the bypass valve is set at 15 PSI instead of 8-11.

This can cause oil pressure issues as noted on the Purolator website.

Just because a filter has the proper O-ring and thread size does not mean it will work correctly.

Purolator produces the ML line for Powersports.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
No dog in the fight, but this is straight from the Purolator site...

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/pages/motorcyclefilters.aspx

".... What About PureONE
If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter..... "

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thank you for the backup and the legwork you went through.

Not a fight though, just information so people use the Proper products.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
166 Posts
I guess I would buy their ML line up if someone in this state sold them. The problem I have with Moto filters is the premium pricing. It's BS. Just because I ride a motorcycle doesn't mean we have to pay top dollar for everything.

I seriously doubt a metal cased moto oil filter is made any different than a metal cased car filter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I guess I would buy their ML line up if someone in this state sold them. The problem I have with Moto filters is the premium pricing. It's BS. Just because I ride a motorcycle doesn't mean we have to pay top dollar for everything.

I seriously doubt a metal cased moto oil filter is made any different than a metal cased car filter.
Anyplace you get Purolator filters can get them.

The difference is between filters no matter the application. Filter manufacturers have approximately 75 different types of media they use to get the specs necessary for the application for various reasons. Such as flow and capture efficiency. Then we go to the bypass valve. PSI Ratings can go from as low as 2 PSI to over 20 PSI and also if it has a backflow preventer or not. Different materials used for the O-ring style, for the bypass valve etc... Does it use a coil spring or stamped metal ?

There is more to a filter than what I listed or what meets the eye. It is more than O-ring size, can size and thread size.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
405 Posts
What does the process of building a filter have to do with how it works in an application?

I believe that is what we were talking about.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm talking about cost, not how it works.
I see....

Some of it will have to do with popularity... For instance, a Kawi filter vs: a Suzuki filter. The Suzuki filter doesn't fit too much else other than a Suzuki and a couple other things... The Kawi filter, fits late model Honda, Yamaha, Victory and some Triumphs. Thats just off the top of my head.

Now take a look at the auto side of it. The filter that has the same thread and O-ring fits Many vehicles including Acura, Mazda, Toyota, Lexus, Pontiacs etc...

A short production run has to be figured into the cost.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I tested oils from 2003 to to 2009 for what is most important to me, motorcycle shifting. The several higher priced full synthetic oils that I tried shifted all about the same, better than the regular oils but not as good as half Amsoil 10w-40 and half Rotella 15w-40 for my 1988 designed cruiser with straight cut transmission gears. The weak clutch on my cruiser feels stronger with this semi-synthetic mix, compared to an all synthetic oil.

For my 2008 ZZR, it shifts better with this oil mix than with the original regular Kawasaki 10w-40, and I notice no difference for the clutch. The last time I checked I got 56 miles per gallon, an indication that there is no extra friction, especially with the butter smooth shift feel compared to the stock oil.

I doubt I will ever put 100,000 miles on each of my two motorcycles- I am not concerned with trying to get 300,000 miles before a rebuild like the Goldwing people.

I do not plan to spend the money for oil testing, and these tests below would probably be similar to any lab testing I had done, especially since I change my oil mix and oil filters every 2,500 miles (once a year for me), before a full synthetic oil is worn out and before all regular oil is worn out- the owners manual states changing regular oil every 8,000 miles, but they are in the business of selling more new bikes:

Oil Analysis Comparisons: Rotella T 15w-40; Honda Pro HP4 and Rotella T6 5w-40 - GL1800Riders

·
Registered
166 Posts
I see....

Some of it will have to do with popularity... For instance, a Kawi filter vs: a Suzuki filter. The Suzuki filter doesn't fit too much else other than a Suzuki and a couple other things... The Kawi filter, fits late model Honda, Yamaha, Victory and some Triumphs. Thats just off the top of my head.

Now take a look at the auto side of it. The filter that has the same thread and O-ring fits Many vehicles including Acura, Mazda, Toyota, Lexus, Pontiacs etc...

A short production run has to be figured into the cost.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

Yea, Suzuki went their own way on the oil filter thread size/count. Most every other bike is M20-1.50 threads. I guess they did that to keep people/mechanics from using anything but a moto filter?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yea, Suzuki went their own way on the oil filter thread size/count. Most every other bike is M20-1.50 threads. I guess they did that to keep people/mechanics from using anything but a moto filter?
Sometimes you wonder what goes through their minds.

Just like Ford. I think it was around 94 when they went from the Standard Ford Filter to a Metric thread. At that time it was just on the Canadian V-8 which, was manufactured forever there with the Standard filter.

You would think that retooling costs would be enough to stop them from changing from the most popular filter in the world.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts