Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Z750 Gen 2 and my shifter is set in stock (not GP). I want to install a Dynojet QuickShifter, and i need to make sure whether to connect the push or pull pins of the sensor to my PCV.

·
41,015 Posts
When you shift from first to second, is it pushing on the rod between your shifter and transmission or is it pulling on it? I looked at a couple photos on the internet and it looks like it pushes.

·
41,015 Posts
So if you have a normal shift pattern where 2, 3, 4, etc. are up, then the rod is being pushed and you need to use the push wiring for the Quick Shifter. If you have a GP (reversed pattern) shift where 2, 3, 4, etc. are down, then you need a pull. A Quick Shifter only cuts ignition on upshifts, not down.

·
41,015 Posts
Are you sure i thought it goes both ways
This is new to me but you are correct, there are actually two types. One is single direction and gives you clutchless upshifts (this is the original style and the one that I've used). The new style gives you clutchless up AND down shifts, but for the down shift to work, the engine RPM's need to be increased (rev matched). They rev match by blipping the throttle. I haven't read into the tech on this, but I would expect this to only work on a throttle-by-wire system. I don't know how it would work on a cable driven throttle because you'd have to mechanically open the throttle. Simply dumping more fuel into the cylinder without adding more air would just introduce an excessively rich mixture. I would expect this to bog the engine down rather than increase rev's. Does your bike have a cable driven throttle or is it throttle-by-wire?

With that being said, your bike (if it has a standard shift pattern), pushes on the upshift and pulls on the downshift.

I know you're using a PCV so I'm assuming you're using a DynoJet Quickshifter, but it might be helpful if I knew exactly which Quickshifter you're using.

·
41,015 Posts
That's the one I was guessing. I assume your plan is to install it on the shift rod between your foot peg and the transmission (and shortening the rod). According to their instruction manual: "Route the pressure switch cable to the Power Commander and insert the wires into the holes of the PCV. It does not matter which color wire goes into which hole. When routing the cable ensure that it is kept away from moving parts like the chain or swing arm and avoid hot areas such as the exhaust etc.

I'm not sure how that works because I would think it needs to know if you're upshifting or downshifting. The bottom line though, to answer your original question, is that you'll want to use the push pins for upshifting.

·
41,015 Posts
If it were mine, I'd do it the way it's shown in the second photo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dunno personally based on the diagram i see it the other way. See , the sensor is on the pedal side and the rod ends on the other side on the gear selector

Font Material property Parallel Paper Document

Font Material property Parallel Engineering Schematic

·
41,015 Posts
It wouldn't matter which direction it goes as long as the rods will thread in. It's a normally open switch that closes when you shift. Mounting at the front or rear won't change the functionality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts