Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i put my bike on a dyno today and im only pushing 97.66 HP and its real sloppy from around 25mph to 40 mph i would think it would have more power i have a full D&D exhaust,+4 ingition advancer,K&N filter and -1 +2 sprocket setup. i dont know if it was jetted but im guessing it was not. how do i know if its running rich or lean and gow do i fix it?

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
well, a sprockets not gonna give you more hp..lol.. uh.. (thinkin..) Hmm..

did they hook up a wideband to it ? they should have. dynoing something is worthless if you can't map A/F.

did it backfire or stumble or just sag? what did it smell like when pulling?
i mean, i can sit here and ask 1000 questions, and without seeing what actually happens to fuel, i can only postulate.

it still could be jetting.. are the floats set? was the jet kit staggerd in size like the stock ones are? (170's and 180's)

i dunno man.. i have alot of questions myself that would need answered i order to better help ya bro..lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umm im not to sure about the wideband on the print out it just has speed and HP when they did the run it did smoke a little and have a little smell some one told me they think its running rich i know when i get on it its slugish between 4k and 5k rpms and im not sure about a jet kit i bought the bike with the pipe and filter so im not sure how can i tell my bike does also have 31k miles on it

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
a rich condition CAN sag power until you get into the revs enough to kinda auto balance the A/F, for lack of better words..

like, if it dumps the right amount of fuel in for a 6000rpm+ pull, but its too much for below 6Krpm, obviously it'll sag at speeds below 6K..

the best bet is to map it if possible.. at least to me.. you can buy a datalogging AEM UEGO and make a couple clandestine freeway runs and kinda ghetto map it that way. the numbers on a dyno are always a lil skewed since you're pulling a static load, it loads linearly, and you have ambient cooling (or lack thereof) to contend with, which in turn knocks off your A/F and power.. thats why dyno numbers 9 outta 10 times are calculated before you get to read them.

uh.... hmm... 31K shouldn't really be all that detrimental to anything as long as the machine was maintained.. i'm sure it's probably noisey.. sounding like an idleing diesel is one of the 7-R's proclivities anyway.

man, i wish i was more of a tuner.. i can tune, but i've never dyno tuned anything since i don't own a dyno yet.. i will, but its a year or 2 out, still..

smoke on a pull is natural. i've seen vipers, lambos and ferarris smoke on dyno pulls.. lol ESPECIALLY on uber tuned motors.. you can't really help that.. ALOT of smoke tho could be indicative of 3 things..

ring flutter, ring FAILURE, or valve seals.

flutter is 100% all-natural. EVERY motor in the world has it. it has to do with harmonics in the motor and what the ring gap is. typically, it's around 9000rpm tho, so, i'd kinda rule that out.

ting failure, well, you know you don't have that.. a good pull woulda wiped em out and you'd be fuckered.

possibility of a slight bit of blow-by on the seals.. but, that ring flutter thing is also the MAIN reason blow-by occurs, and is normally the true source of blow-by in the first place..(since its "blowing" by the rings..)

not sure what else i can tell ya man.. i'll sit her eand ponder for ya.. lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
hey, with full muzzy, k&n filter, Ivans jet kit -1 + 2 gearing setup on my 7 engine I got 125 HP on the rear wheele on mine. Something is wrong on your setup dude. I wold have a look at the carbs and see if you have a jet kit. But still a major HP loss. It should put out around 105-110 stock... But like whitehendrix says.. you should have the air fuel ratio checked! Good luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help i think im just going to ride it like this for the rest of this season then either get it jetted and tuned or just look into doing a zx9 swap

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
the 9 swap is ill. i'm considering that on the next big build.

i think i might start doing something different each season with mine.. that may very well be on the list.

yeah.. these bikes made 123HP at the crank in stock trim, so ya.. add a 12-15% driveline loss and that will give ya your baseline stock HP. i'd say BigBoy's makin about 140+ at the crank..

look at the plugs and check the color.. see what flavor they are.. that'll tell ya a little bit about a/f.. not super reliable and accurate, but accurate enough for a rough tune.. i'd still try and buddy up with a ricer... they tend to have widebands just chillin in their parts bins!! and by ricer, i don't mean the honda kids with a cold air intake and fart can.. i mean, actual modified (turbo or nitrous) cars.

you CAN kinda make your own, but theres a good chance (unless your an electronics whiz and have a "basic STAMP" card and a laptop) that you won't be able to log under load on highway runs.. the biggest thing with the data logging is it frees you up to actually ride and not get run over cuz you were watching the gauge..lol a regular )2 sensor can do an ok job, but honestly, wideband is the best.. and also, pay attention to response time on the gauge and all if you do your own tweaking.. some gauges are too slow to catch spikey or saggy conditions in A/F, which could indicate vacuum piston flutter or float movement.

did you adjust the clips on the vac piston, btw?

·
Registered
120 Posts
jeezus hendrix... ur like a fucking fountain of endless knowledge... what i wouldn't give to have someone with ur knowhow give my bike a once or thrice over to get it into tiptop shape...

actually, scratch that, i'm broke at the moment... but i DO have all this beer that i need to drink... *shrug*

·
Registered
470 Posts
If the pair valve is/has been deleted incorrectly you will never hit over 100hp. Some of that stuff can go, but some has to stay, otherwise the bike runs out of fuel. Or perhaps the bike has not had its valves adjusted in 31000 miles, and your just dumping hp out the valves.

·
Registered
131 Posts
my zx7r with the 7r motor put out 112.5 i think i still have the dyno sheet.. id say just dump the 9r motor in there its fairly easy... ive had the 9r motor in mine for the last 8/9 yrs... no probs...

the 9r motor give its the power the zx7r SHOULD HAVE!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does any one know where i could get my hands on a 9r motor i can seem to fin one anywhere

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
What vintage zx7...? I have to ask is this is a 93-95 or 96+ zx7. the "old" 93-95's were good for 103-105ish

Second, if this was on a dynojet, factory or a superflow dyno, those numbers can vary wildly...

A chain with tight links can rob some power too...but on the orer of 2-4hp, not 15-20hp.

I gotta agree with all the rest thats said...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its a 97 and it was run on a dynojet from RJ'S in amherst NH it has a fresh chain that i just put on a few weeks ago i know i need a good valve adjust and im also guessing it needs to be jetted it ran 106 mph with 97.66 hp in 4th gear

·
Registered
297 Posts
If the pair valve is/has been deleted incorrectly you will never hit over 100hp. Some of that stuff can go, but some has to stay, otherwise the bike runs out of fuel. Or perhaps the bike has not had its valves adjusted in 31000 miles, and your just dumping hp out the valves.

What is the incorrect way to do it? What is supposed to stay and whats supposed to go?

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I dynod mine 4 yrs ago with just a d&d can and float bowl mod and got 106.5. since then i have advanced the timing and jetted it, waiting to put a full akra then have it dyno tuned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts