Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welp went out to the twisties today and seems like my bike was running into some problems. when reved to 10-14k once inawhile it would bog back down to 8k or so with some puttering sounds. almost the feeling of being outta gas then it will kick back in and start again.

well since most of this was happening whhile i was draggin knee(j/k mid turn) i wasn't able to look down much but i did see my FI light come on for a quick second once.

after the bike basically shutting down mid turn... wich is not coo. i decided to stay around 8 k and was fine for the rest of the day.

anyone know what it could be? my warrenty expired last week so i'm hoping it's nothing major. i just call a friend and he said i might have a lose connect to my injectors and check all my wires also...

i'm at work and won't have time to check it till tomarrow so hopefully it's nothing... any idea's?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump for some help pls?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't something electrical? Say for instance you have a loose battery cable or loose ground on the battery...it might make a good connection right up until you get to a certain rpm and lean angle...then it comes loose...bike dies...angle/vibration changes...bike comes alive again and FI light blinks like first turning on the bike. Since it was running before in gear before this happens it never stops running because its acting as if its being push started.

Thats my idea...good luck...I'd hone in on the ground connections of the battery...loose or bad grounds can cause very wacky things to happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
WTF....About a month ago I was riding some local twisties with my buddy and we were pushing it pretty hard and draggin knees. I was on a left hand positive camber turn and right at mid turn my bike just bogs down. It was weird and scary. I never had an engine blow up on me but I thought that is what happened. I still had engine brake but I was getting nothing from the throttle. 3/4's out of the turn I start to look down at my gauges and stand up write and my rpms where flickering around 3 or 4k and the red light was also on. At that point my buddy ran into my ass end and went down so I dont remember much else at that point besides pulling over and running to him. I am still messed up over it because my buddy got banged up pretty bad. After it was all said and done I was still able to get on my bike get it into neutral and start her up and ride her back to the shop. I had the shop look at everything and they couldnt find anything wrong with it.

I know this doesnt really help answer anything but I have had the same thing happen to me. Bike has 5k on it. I experienced a lowside at Willow Springs (streets) so I thought that maybe my cut off switch may have been faulty but it checked out ok in the shop.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Another thread mentions the FI brain will go into "limp mode" if it thinks something is wrong and that it will only rev to about 8K in limp mode. Maybe something is cutting in/out (sensor wire of some sort?) that has you kicking in/out of limp mode.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Kozich
WTF....About a month ago I was riding some local twisties with my buddy and we were pushing it pretty hard and draggin knees. I was on a left hand positive camber turn and right at mid turn my bike just bogs down. It was weird and scary. I never had an engine blow up on me but I thought that is what happened. I still had engine brake but I was getting nothing from the throttle. 3/4's out of the turn I start to look down at my gauges and stand up write and my rpms where flickering around 3 or 4k and the red light was also on. At that point my buddy ran into my ass end and went down so I dont remember much else at that point besides pulling over and running to him. I am still messed up over it because my buddy got banged up pretty bad. After it was all said and done I was still able to get on my bike get it into neutral and start her up and ride her back to the shop. I had the shop look at everything and they couldnt find anything wrong with it.

I know this doesnt really help answer anything but I have had the same thing happen to me. Bike has 5k on it. I experienced a lowside at Willow Springs (streets) so I thought that maybe my cut off switch may have been faulty but it checked out ok in the shop.
that is exactly why u dont ride the way u were on public roads man.. save it for the track .. there are gravel traps!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by mitch179

that is exactly why u dont ride the way u were on public roads man.. save it for the track .. there are gravel traps!

I appreciate your tidbit about saving it for the track but I didnt reply to the post in hopes of getting the "save it for the track speech".

Sorry but its obvious that track is the way to go but the thread is asking for help on a bike that cuts out in turns.

I dont want to pull this thread towards where people should ride so lets keep this on the original post.

[email protected] if anyone wants to talk about other things.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok update******* today i was coming from a stop sign, it started puttering and the bike went from 6k to shutting off no FI light. couldn't get it started for about 10mins. then it turns on. let it idle for about 10secs then i rev it... it dies. starts right back up and i rev it again everything seems fine so i go take off and then within 20 ft it stops again. that happend twice then i decided to stop. and couldnt;' get it started again. called around for about an hour looking for someone with a truck to pick my ass up in the hills. decide to try it one more time and it starts. about 40miles into my ride home it starts puttering again with the fi light around 6k on the freeway and then it goes away.

someone pls help WTF IS GOING ON... does anyone have instructions on how to pull the codes off my ecu?

oh yea i stoped by kawi for some help but it seems as if my warrenty expired 10 days ago :/

·
Registered
197 Posts
i have the manual on cd and there is a self diagnois if the fi lite came on but there are 6 other compnents that will set the lite on and WILL NOT store a code they are 1. the fi indecator lite [led] 2. fuel pump 3. fuel pump relay 4. ecu main relay 5. ecu power source wiring and ground wiring 6. fuel injectors yeah thats what i said thanks fucking kawi check all your wires to these components good luck :(

·
Registered
197 Posts
yo keep me posted if you need anymore info let me know i btw i am a mechanic and do all my work myself my bike has 8500mi and never seen the inside of a stealership since i drove off the showroom floor

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I take it you have filled up since it first happened? If not, perhaps its a bad tank of fuel.

Otherwise it sounds like something is getting too hot and shutting down or is loose like a ground. Check the connections everywhere you can, especially in previously damaged areas of the bike if any.

If you have a power commander installed, bypass it for a while and see if the problem persists.

Make sure your ignition switch and the start/stop switch are functioning properly and all the way on. Just follow the guidelines in the shop manual.

I'm sure you have a shop manual?

Anyways, good luck. Problems like this can be a pain in the ass. Just eliminate the basics and eventually you will find the solution.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have the manual on cd and there is a self diagnois if the fi lite came on but there are 6 other compnents that will set the lite on and WILL NOT store a code they are 1. the fi indecator lite [led] 2. fuel pump 3. fuel pump relay 4. ecu main relay 5. ecu power source wiring and ground wiring 6. fuel injectors yeah thats what i said thanks fucking kawi check all your wires to these components good luck
items checked
fuses (btw does someone have a check list of these? like where all the fuses are)
air suction system
air ducts
air filter
spark plugs
all lines are good and not pinched
all wires are intact and good. no chaffing(sp?)
battery and connections

i also tried to pull the codes off but looks like it didn't store it. i'm getting a bad headache by the minute. looks like i have to check the 6 items that the ecu doesn't catch...:/

·
Registered
197 Posts
how did you try to pull the codes because there is a single wire under the seat and there are 2 modes dealer mode 1 you have to hold it grounded for more than 2 seconds and hold it there until it blinks the codes and dealer mode 2 you have to ground the wire 5 times within 2 seconds and hold it but to go from dealer mode 1 to dealer mode 2 you have to turn off the ingition and then back on to go from one mode to the other i know this sucks:(

·
Registered
197 Posts
and if you don't get any code check one of the 6 components i said before wait till i tell you how to clear them are you ready get this shit you have to enter dealer mode 2 and hold the clutch lever in for more than 5 seconds then release hahahahaha you have to have three hands

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^yup did both dealer 1 and dealer 2. didn't show any codes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any update on this?

I was at the track this weekend. And on the last day I started to notice what I thought was some major tire slip coming out of a left-handed turn. After inspecting my tires and going out again, the same thing happens but I pay more attention to it. Eventually I realize that the ignition is cutting out while I am in the middle of the turn. Then it starts happening on right-handers as well. Seems to be rpm related as well since it only happened at the high-end of the tach.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the tip over sensor. Very strange.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Id bet ya dimes for dollars your CDI (ECU) is whacked. There IS a problem with this and kawasaki is informed of it. Mine did that same shit and thats what it was. Alot of the cdi's that are on the especialy the 05's have bad solder joints in them......when they get hot (not coolant hot) from the exhaust the connections in the ecu ( it's sealed) go bad and it cuts spark to one or more of the coil sticks. I've been reading alot of this problem on the forum here but there is a problem with them. These things dont take a hit very well AT ALL!!! Mine did EXACTLY the same thing as the original poster. No way to be 100% sure without diagnosing the actual bike but its not too uncommon. Ebays got them 100 bills and the RR and R cdi's are interchangable. Also I had a problem with the wiring to the fuel pump connector pin pushed through the back of the plug....its the yello/black wire. Good luck man I was ready to blow the shit outta my bike when i went through all the diagnosis on it. Mine was a demo bike and had no warranty when i bought it ( cheap cheap ) so I got to know this bike and its electrical really really good unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i thought i was originally my fuel vent line being krimped but the probally is still there. really frustrating since this has been going on since june!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm taking it in to the shop soon. i've been thru trying to diagnose everything from checking conections to testing the the grounds yada yada and can't find shit wrong with it. i'm just waiting to get back into town to drop her off at the shop. probally 2 weeks from now. hopefully i can find the problem.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Seriously man ask the dude to see if they can swap out ecu's for a test ride. If they have any zx's sitting on the showroom floor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.