Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on the european models they have running lights in the upper outside cornner or their 03 636's this might be so in canada too but I dont think so. Well I'm not sure if they are turnsignals but If they aren't I would definately throw an amber bulb in there and then wire them to the fron side blinkers. Well back to my question now... I have a US model and if I look it through the headlight I can see a circle in the upper corner where the bubs would mount. I think I am going to drill through that circle and put an amber light there with this kit at pepboys that I saw. The kit comes with a rubber gromet and a 194 bulb. But I was wondering...Those front headlights are air tight once the 2 little circles (behind the headlight bulbs) are closed right? If I drill a hole and put the 2 blinkers up their then would I get condensation in the head light unit? I have the flush mount side blinkers so no one can see and blinkers from head on, so I think this would make my ride a lot safer and more street legal! Any one done this mod. yet on their bike? or know any info about it?
Thanks

With great freedom, comes great responsibility.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just a footnote: those light kits you're looking at are sometimes referred to as city lights. Check the bulb wattages before you drill anything.

I have used them in the pasr (drilled into auto headlamps) and would have put them in my '02 sixxer's lights already if they had green ones in stock. The rubber grommet keeps the condensation out well.

(2) problems, 1. I don't think they'll be bright enough for blinkers (they kinda make your headlights glow the color of the bulb your using, cool looking but not bright and only visible when your headlights are NOT on) 2. drilling out the hole in you headlight will cause plastic particles to fall inside your sealed unit... with a little static charge present, they stick themselves to the most awkward parts of the INSIDE of your lamp housing (I tried flushing w/ water, Q-tips etc and still wasn't able to get all the pieces out [V])

Anywho, as city lights OR blinkers, the effect should be trick, especially on the '03's, just plan it out ahead of time or else you'll be kicking your own ass when it doesn't go as smoothly as you'd hoped...

Hope this helps.

[:p] '02 Green ZX-6R Limited Edition [:p]

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the bulbs that that kit at pepboys comes with are like 8watts or soemthing but they accept all 194 type bulbs. The wiring is also fine for going up a tiny bit in wattage. i am going to put a 23watt 194type bulb in that bulb harness. I didnt even think about those little bits of plastic though that are going to get in my headlight houseing. Maybe punching a nail through the center of where i want it and then a bigger nail, and then a bigger nail, and then with needle nose plyers maybe I could upen the hole up enough? But I know to get the best fit with those rubber gromets I need a nice perfectly round circle, so that plan might not work out. Do you think the 23 watt bulbs will show with the headlights on?

With great freedom, comes great responsibility.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I hoestly doubt they'd be too visible w/ your headlights on, I have an amber center light on my 02 and it's just a highlight at night.

If you're going to try drilling, get a progressive drill bit (looks like a cone) for sheet metal drilling, that way you can make an existing hole bigger step-by-step w/o F-ing up the perimeter.

You might also want to experiment by drilling holes in an old piesce of plastic (like your mud guard ;)) ... try the grease trick or stick a couple of layers of duck tape to the side that the bit will be coming out to see if you can catch the pieces.

Even if you dont do blinkers, colored "city lights" in the corners would be sweet [8D]

[:p] '02 Green ZX-6R Limited Edition [:p]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.