Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious on what everyone’s routine or ritual is for putting the back up for the winter.

Mine are:

Run fuel down to about 1/3.
Any maintenance item needed (oil change, flush anti-freeze etc)
Wash-wax-polish
Put up on stands
disconnect battery.
Remove any parts I want to polish or customize
Finish with the bike cover.

And then go into depression until I can uncover it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
run the gas down and syphon the rest, run it till it dies. disconnect battery. i assume i should clean the bus off it. also, check the antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
^^^are you guys leaving the fuel tank empty then? I heard that you supposed to fill the full tank , add stabil and run it for a bit to let the mixed fuel to get to the lines.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
*^^CORRECT^^*[:Agree]
Gas: Top off the tank and add the recommended amount of a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-Bil. This additive will keep your gas from breaking down and leaving a gunky brown “varnish” on your carb’s parts. Then start the engine and run it for several minutes to make sure you get the treated gas into the carbs.

I don't have to winterize my bike, but i'm sure that this link right here will help you out.

http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/Riderresc/winterize.asp

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I dont even bother with stabil, the 6 months or whatever it is doesnt seem to be long enough in this cold climate, if it sat over the summer i may think about though.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,412 Posts
Hmm...winter routine...well, I gear up, because sometimes it dips down into the 50's or 60's in the morning...I usually let the bike warm up a little bit longer than during the summer...but once it's hot, I hop on and go. Really nothing to it. [:p]

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
Hmm...winter routine...well, I gear up, because sometimes it dips down into the 50's or 60's in the morning...I usually let the bike warm up a little bit longer than during the summer...but once it's hot, I hop on and go. Really nothing to it. [:p]
i hate you.

i fill my gas tank all the way. then once a week i run it until she hits about 150 degrees or so and let it idle for a while.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt

[:M98]

Tell me about it lol. This is too funny of a response. It was about 40-50 degrees this morning... So, I know what you mean bro. It probably doesn't get any colder than 30 degrees here in GA (during the day)...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by spitz04
I dont even bother with stabil, the 6 months or whatever it is doesnt seem to be long enough in this cold climate, if it sat over the summer i may think about though.
6 months is a long time bro. The gas you use from the pump is like a week old max, and you're gonna use gas that is 24 weeks old? c'mon now, the gas will be "old gas" and has deteriorated after 60 days (2 months). Stabil is supposed to keep the gas fresh for 12 months. Just use the friggin sta-bil man!!!! ...and please be sure to fill the tank up.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Originally posted by Chicagois2

6 months is a long time bro. The gas you use from the pump is like a week old max, and you're gonna use gas that is 24 weeks old? c'mon now, the gas will be "old gas" and has deteriorated after 60 days (2 months). Stabil is supposed to keep the gas fresh for 12 months. Just use the friggin sta-bil man!!!! ...and please be sure to fill the tank up.
[:++1]

I'd rather pay a few bucks for the little thing of sta-bil then have the gas breaking down gumming up the carbs and stuff and then find out I can't ride in the spring until clean them out.

You can drain the tank too, but if you do, make sure its fully drained and that you put a rust inhibitor in there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Even out here in brutal Wyoming, I really only winterize my bike for 1 to 2 months max. I usually top off the tank and do one last ride with Stabil. (place bike on stands summer or winter) I remove the battery in mid to late November or early December. But for some reason, the urge to ride will have me reinstalling the battery many times throughout the winter on nice days so I can take a spin. So in reality, I never truly put my bike away. I think the longest I have never ridden was from Dec 12 to Jan 5th one winter.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Dude...its gonna be in the 60s for the next 10 days in Omaha...stop being a little girl :D

I'll probably stop riding once December/January come around. It was 40 degrees this morning and I wasn't cold but I had noticeable loss of traction in my tires. Nothing too bad but then again there was no traffic around.

I just don't understand winterizing your bike...as long as you run it once in a while (maybe take it for a spin once every two weeks or just run it in place), you should be fine. Unless you live in like Canada/Alaska where you don't get random nice days during the winter, why winterize?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I wouldn't recommend emptying the tank either, your probability of rust developing in the tank increases.
Heres what I have been doing for the last 4 years

Fill tank w/gas and correct amount of stabil > run for 5 minutes
Change oil and filter
Remove battery > keep in a warm dry place
Clean and wax
Kiss and hug it
cover it

This year I will probably lubricate the cables

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fill up the tank, Sta-bil in the tank, clean her up, clean and lube the shit out of the chain, twist the GPR, once in a while to keep the fluid in there moving around. It gets to stay in a warm garage so its not as big of a deal as it used to be. Starting it once in a while is about the worst thing you can do to a sitting bike. Oh i change the oil before i put her up.Plug the battery tender in!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't run it out of fuel its hard on the fuel pump, and the injectors. You want it to be as full as possible with stabil in it. If it is low water will condense inside an might cause corrosion. When you start it in the spring add something that contains methyl alcohol....something used to remove water...to insure there is absolutely no water left in the tank..

as a note make sure you run it once the stabil is in so it will get down in the lines and fuel rail!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Originally posted by OhBriansZX6R<br>

Fill tank w/gas and correct amount of stabil > run for 5 minutes

5 mins. is not enough time to burn the moisture out of your exhaust and cylinder walls. Your probably doing more harm.

Fill tank
hook up battery tender
put on stands
clean
cover
run bike up to temp every 2 -3 wks.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
i fill mine w/ gas add the proper ammount of Sta-bil. Then i clean her up, and get the wheels off the ground. Then before i cover her up, i hump the exhaust hole then right before im about to bust, i pull out and bust on gauge cluster. THen finally i pull up the covers and tuck her on for hibernation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Usually as long as there is no snow on the ground and the temp. is aroud 30 I'll be riding so I usually just let it idle on the off days. Never had a problem with any of my bikes while doing this

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.