Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just get my new zx10r and have been enjoying tearin it up in the sunshine and on the hot sticky roads of Florida.

Fast forward 2 weeks and I get a job offer from my company that I cannot refuse....only thing is I need to move to Colorado Springs, Colorado.

I am definately moving but my question is, keep my bike or sell it? I am used to year round riding conditions, what can I look forward to in C. Springs, Colorado?

I realy love my baby but if I cant use her most of the year than I will give her to someone who can....[B)]

thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can ride all 12 month in Colorado, you just need some warmer gear for the coldest months to do so.
I definately would not sell that bike, but would make sure I bring it with me, because the summers here are incredible.

BC.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I would not sell the bike for that area... When I lived in Cheyenne Wy there were times that I could ride in Dec and all the colder months. You just have to bundle up to stay warm. I have heard there is alot of riding around Colo Springs but I have never had the chance to actually get out there. As blade cutter said the summers are nice and warm, nights get a little cold.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasnt really worried about the cold on my body as much as snow and ice on the road.

The roads being dry is really what im concerned about.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you sell you will be very disappointed. There are some awesome mountain rides to be had right out of COspgs. I've never been down there on my bike, the stuff I've done has been with the family in the cage. I ride the mnts in northern CO and love it. Thousands of miles of twisties just waiting on you:)

Oh, FWIW, last year I think my bike went maybe three weeks straight w/o being ridden. There where lots of days I could have ridden to school or whatever, but I don't normally ride if it gets much below 45deg or so dry roads or not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
One advantage of Colorado Springs is that you are pretty close to Pueblo Motorsports Park. 2+ mile road course that offers motorcycle track days. Here is some onboard video at the track. http://www.starmotorcycle.com/video/pueblo.wmv

The main problems that you will have to deal with in the winter months besides the cold are loose gravel, sand, and salt on the roads in the days following a snowfall. Also, the winds can prevent riding on many days of the week. They can get quite strong along the front range and into southern Wyoming with average speeds of 40 mph with gusts to over 70 MPH. (90 MPH near Boulder, Colorado) Winds usually aren't an issue from May - Oct.

Greeley, usually has calm weather when it is windy as hell just north near Wyoming or west near the mountains. I wish Cheyenne was calm like Greeley. But Greeley has a big disadvantage, the air stinks from all the feed lots.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is very good news to hear, I feel much better, thanks guys:D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after much deliberation, I have decided to stay in florida, atleast till summer. I would take too much of a loss (monetary and emotionally) if I sold my bike now.

I will lose money in the long run but Fuck it, im staying true to my baby.:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally posted by RedNinja636
Well after much deliberation, I have decided to stay in florida, atleast till summer. I would take too much of a loss (monetary and emotionally) if I sold my bike now.

I will lose money in the long run but Fuck it, im staying true to my baby.:)
You wimp...you passed up on a chance to experience snow, wind and cold for a winter spent in Florida?;)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
There's only about 10-12 days a year that you can't ride, and even fewer in the last few years, as long as you stay out of the mountains. Getting caught out in a monsoon flood is much more likely than not riding because of snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.