Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When looking at bulbs I see some are maybe 4200k, 6500k, 8500k, etc but what does that excactly mean? Is there any website that explains it? I tried searching but didn't find anything.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Color temperature. In Kelvin scale. 4000 is yellowish, 6000-7000 is white, 8000 is light blue, 10000-12000 is purple, etc, etc. If you see color temperature on a box of regular (non-REAL-hid) bulbs - you are being lied to. Just like the whole "HID-LOOK" bullshit - don't fall for that. Those bulbs are all the same and their manufacturers try to alter "color temperature" (in actuality - color appearance) by tinting the glass, meaning, in the end they might look bluish at the expense of blocking half of the lumens through that tint. Result - dim bulb with retarded fake-ass HID appearance.

Now REAL hid is a different story. And much more expensive. If you want good and cheap - go with Silverstars.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
well i dont know anything about fake, or hid look. but i had some very nice bulbs in my 4runner. well i had to upgrade to a dif type of light. instead of a sealed beam. got some "blue" bulbs. best lights ive ever seen. but on a wet road forget about, couldnt see shit. but when it was the darkest is when they worked the best. you could see for miles. and cut through fog like a knife. but was weird if it was still a little light, or lights from town, they didnt show too well. very reflective. looked cool too, the blue. dont know if its related but for whatever reason both bulbs burned out AT THE SAME TIME WTF!! anyway kinda strayed off topic here. im actually still looking for some good bulbs for my zx...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put "blue" bulbs in my car but they wern't too bright at all. They were stated as 8500k and I had ordered some bulbs for my bike that were listed as 4200k and that led me to my question. Well at least I've modded both of my lights to be high beam so I'm hoping they won't be too bad.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Put silverstars in your bike, Its the next best thing to HID's. They give a nice bright white overall look. I love'em I'll never go back to stock bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.