Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new pair of dunlop 208 tires for my bike. 180\55\ZR17 for the back and 120\70\ZR17 for the front. The person installing them said he didnt want to install the front tire because he thinks I will have a handling problem. He said he once installed a 120\70 on a cbr600 and the kid had a lot of handling problems. I have a 2000 zx6r. I called a whole bunch of kawasaki dealers and they all said I shouldnt have any problems. What should I tell the person that is installing it. I also spoke to the person I bought the tires from and they said I could exchange the 120\70 for a 120\60. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The 70 will be fine, besides, with a 70 you'll end up with a v rated tire.

·
Registered
333 Posts
shouldn't your bike year have 120/65 ???
I got the standard sizes in 208's for my J2

mfzx6r

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've ran the 70 and 60 series on my 98. The 70 works good it just slows the steering and you can't hold as tight of a line. Which is fine if you aren't at the track. The 60 series seems to work the best for me so far. Then again I only use mine for the track. Plus I haven't come across any 65 series yet.

Faerge[}:)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent come across any places that sell the 65 series either. I don't run the track at all. Im new to riding. I bought a used bike that was in desperate need of new tires. Do you think I should opt for the 60 or just save the hassle and use the 70? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
mbarn,

Your bike came with a 120/65 tire, but you can safely fit a 120/70 tire. It is quite a popular change.

If you are new to riding, you may hardly notice a difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 70 series worked great. Just not on the track wringing it out. If I ever put my poor zx on the street I will run the 70's because they are easier for me to get.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by xcanuc

The 70 series worked great. Just not on the track wringing it out.
That is not quite right.

Most track tires do not come in the 120/65 size. Many of the fastest riders at the track use a 120/70 tire on bikes that come with smaller tires.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
to fix the handling problem with the 120/70 pull the forks through the triple tree about half inch. a race-tech technician who does work on my bike told me this and it worked for me.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Originally posted by mfzx6r

shouldn't your bike year have 120/65 ???
I got the standard sizes in 208's for my J2

mfzx6r
Uhh.. not in 208's you didn't. Dunlop doesn't make the 208 in a 65 sidewall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rob,

How is that not quite right? When I ran the 60 series tire I could turn in easier and hold a tighter line. The 70 kept pushing me wide. I do have a couple of friends that have RR's and they are running 70 series and not having trouble but I have a 98 and am having trouble.

Arturo,

I went the other way and raised the rear ride height. We will see how it works on the 18th. If it still won't turn I am going to drop the front also.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
just drop the front to compensate for the higher wheel. no need to raise the rear. youll see;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Arturo,

The problem is I want the bike to turn considerably quicker. If I just dropped the front I would run out of ground clearance. By raising the rear you don't have that problem.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
xcanuc,

You mentioned that the 120/70 tire did not work great at the limit on the track. But the fastest ZX-6R riders, including Tommy and Tony, use just that tire size with great success. So, your statement is less than accurate.

The 120/60 tire gives quicker steering than the 120/70 tire. But the 120/70 tire can also turn well without running wide. Assuming identical compound and construction, a first step would be to raise the forks 6 mm (not half an inch) through the triple clamp to maintain stock ride height.

If your bike does not turn well with the 120/70 tire, it is improperly setup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah well I wish I could afford Tommy's bikes or even just the suspension but that is not an option. I haven't worked for a year and a half and I just bought a new house. Plus I don't want to put too much money in this bike because I will probably be buying a ZX10 next year.

So what you are saying is that the difference between a 65 and 70 series is 6mm?

And yes my bike is completely set up wrong but it is heading in the right direction. That is why I am trying all different combinations of tires and suspension settings.

·
Registered
333 Posts
MaDgamEr
Mine is a 120/65 in 208f just checked in case in, exact same size as the stock 207's that came with the bike new, so we do get 208's in that size down here in Australia....:D
Cant understand why not over there ???

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by xcanuc

So what you are saying is that the difference between a 65 and 70 series is 6mm?
Given the same construction, the section height of a 120/70 tire is 6 mm greater than that of a 120/65 tire. You can maintain the stock ride height by raising the forks that much through the triple clamps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool. Thanks Rob. I already bought the 120 60 but when I replace these tires I will will try the 70 series and drop the front.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Originally posted by mfzx6r

MaDgamEr
Mine is a 120/65 in 208f just checked in case in, exact same size as the stock 207's that came with the bike new, so we do get 208's in that size down here in Australia....:D
Cant understand why not over there ???
Damn Dunlop commie bastards!! In North America we are much more restricted for tire choices is we want to stick with the stock 65 front... But then again, this is one of the reasons I ended up buying a set of Metz M-1's... I would never go back now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.