Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was recently installing some frame sliders on my 2005 zx6r, and I had a question about the right side upper engine mount. This side is very strange to me because I have never seen a sleeve set up like this.

My question is this:

I am not putting the upper right engine mount bolt back in, and I made the mistake of adjusting the coller/sleeve. I am refering to the piece which is threaded on the outside and has a hex input on the inside, and through which the engine mount bolt runs through.

I need to know how far out or in the sleeve/collar should be. Should it be turned all the way counterclockwise so that it is out as far as possible? This would allow the engine to sit nearly flush with the frame. I can't find this info anywhere the service manual is too vague, please help!!!

· Registered
326 Posts
The collar should be turned all the way in so it is snug against the head. When you reinstall the mounting bolt you do not bend/twist/spring the frame/head and put undue stress on it. Then tighten the castle nut down so that it does not come loose.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response, but I am a little sketchy on what all these terms mean. What is the head? Are you refering to the cylinder head (which I believe is the silver part of the engine which the mounting bolt goes through) and when you say "turn it in", you mean insert the hex wrench into the strange collar piece and turn clockwise until it sits flush with the head? Do I understand this correctly?

The service manual says this

Seventh, pull out bolt [C] temporally, and tighten the adjusting
collar [G] counterclockwise until the clearance [H]
between the cylinder head and collar come to 0 mm (0​
in.).

if I follow the manual it would have me insert the hex wrench and turn counterclockwise, which would move the coller piece (the little tube type thing which is threaded on the outside and has a hex input on the inside) away from the "head" and towards me.

I really don't mean to be a pain in the ass but I know how important it is to install engine mounts properly, and I just want to be sure I do it right.

· Registered
326 Posts
thanks for the response, but I am a little sketchy on what all these terms mean. What is the head? Are you refering to the cylinder head (which I believe is the silver part of the engine which the mounting bolt goes through) and when you say "turn it in", you mean insert the hex wrench into the strange collar piece and turn clockwise until it sits flush with the head? Do I understand this correctly?
Yes, the "head" is the cylinder head. By "turn it in" I mean turn the collar to eliminate the gap between the collar and the cylinder head. The collar on the right front motor mount and the collars that are in the right side of the cases for the rear mounts allign the motor into the frame. You have to loosen them to remove the engine and then you have to tighten them when you install the engine to center it in the frame. If you leave a gap and install the bolt you will flex/bent/twist/spring the frame and things wont line up and could cause wierd issues.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Hey I was looking at this question in hopes to getting more info about this engine mount bolt thats connected to the nut. I was wondering how to replace the bolt with the threads on the outside with the nut attached. Mine is broken
If you are talking about the one that threads into the frame and has a castle nut on it, you have to drop the motor down. take the castle nut off, and thread it out of the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.