Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am 5'11.

I currently have a KBC (borrowed) and ride a ZX-6R. Visibility with this helmet is a major problem. Since the riding position is relatively aggressive on the 6R, I have to arch my neck back up a lot so as to see the signals at intersection.

Is this a common issue or are there helmet brands that offer a higher "eyebrow line" (for lack of a better term) that is less painfull on the neck?

Which one's would you recommend and any URLs offering deals on these?

·
Banned
495 Posts
well if ur sitting at a light u shouldnt be tucking down on the bike....you should be sitting up

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which I do if I know that the green lights at least 15 seconds away. If not it's too much hassle to do all that it takes to stop - sit up - crouch down - pull out!

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
wow, you must look really weird riding around. :)
Why are you even riding tucked in on a road with stoplights? sit upright on slow roads like that. Tuck in on the highway if need be.

Anyway, to your original question, I think any helmet may cause problems seeing a light if you are staying tucked in at a light, thats just plain weird

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
wow, you must look really weird riding around.
Why are you even riding tucked in on a road with stoplights? sit upright on slow roads like that. Tuck in on the highway if need be.

Anyway, to your original question, I think any helmet may cause problems seeing a light if you are staying tucked in at a light, thats just plain weird
Ditto. I would have said it a little nicer, but that's my thoughts exactly.. lol

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
He's not tucking in while riding around town, guys. He's just saying that the aggressive riding position of the '05-'06 ZX-6R puts you in a position where you have to tilt your head "up" quite a bit, in relation to your torso, just to see the lights when you're sitting normally on the bike, and holding onto the 'bars.

Most helmets won't restrict your vision like that. It's quite possible that the helmet is simply too big for you. Go out to a few shops and try a few helmets on. Find one which fits your head properly, and which you like the look of, and then buy it.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
There, I added a smiley to show I was only half serious [:p]
That's BS that you can edit a post and get rid of the "edited" tag that we all have to surrender to. lol :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ride normally without crouching too low!

I find it a hassle to get the back to :
* Support the bike on right leg
* shift to neutral
* then support the bike on left leg
* hit the rear brake
* let go of handle bars & sit straight
* then go back down on green(and this does not mean crouch down low - which is where I think I managed to confuse most of you :) )
* pull in the clutch and front brake
* release the rear brake and support the bike on the right leg
* shift
* drive off!! (This part is the best part and never a hassle though!!)

Instead it's plain easy to just stay in the gear and wait for the green if it's not too far away!

Probably, I have a bigger helmet as someone pointed out (Fits comfortably though and not too loose).

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Go try out some different helmets as they all fot diffrently...
most places that have helmets sell bikes as well or will let you sit in the position you speak of, on your own bike...

yeah when way tucked your going to get some of what you speak of as they werent designed to be watching birds coming into you at a high angle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.