Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day i went to the DMV to register my Bike, only to be asked if i had an insurance card. I had no clue you needed insurance first to register. I've been looking around online to see what it would cost me and was thinking of getting bare minimum liability insurance. Is that a good idea?

I'm only 20 and i cant really afford full coverage yet, and even bare minimum will cost me $700 a year from progressive.

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
I had liability from geico when I was 18 and it was only like $300-$400 a year. Get quotes from ALL the companies before you settle.

What state are you in? I'm guessing VA?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm from VA

When I registered they just asked if I had insurance, they didn't actually check.

And I'm under my dad's multipolicy insurance from Geico (though i'm not sure how much it is per year)

·
Registered
12 Posts
i live in indiana, i'm 28, and had the same thing happen today, some (i'd say the smart ones)states require proof of insurance to get your vehicle registered/tagged, that prevents idiots and F#ck tards from getting vehicles tagged/registered and driving around without insurance, although it still happens alot i'd guess, it is kind of a hassle but i called and got my insurance over the phone with geico..while driving back to the bmv, got their, had my insurance company fax over my proof of insurance, and got my temp plate, and wow, yeah check aroudn on insurance, for me the minimal insurance i think through both progressive and geico were the same, man you'll be so glad when you get older...cuz i'm payin yearly a fraction of what they quoted you, depends ALOT on the bike too, mines 2000 zx-6r

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Always check and shop insurance prices first before buying. It's part of buying the bike, along with gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts