Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'm back! I sold my 05 636 a couple of years ago and finally got back in the saddle this weekend with an 09 zx6r. Back on topic now, I bought this bike, then didn't realize that I didn't get an original key with the bike. I called the dealer, they said they could get me a blank key for $20, or I can give them my VIN and they will send me a pre-cut key for $32. I thought that was kind of high so I started browsing ebay. I found a key for $9 with free shipping.

My question is; do these newer bikes have computer chips in them, or can I just buy the key off ebay for $9 and have locksmith cut it for me?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
If your ignition has a red ring around it that says "immobilizer," then your keys have chips, otherwise you're good with a standard key blank.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
870 Posts
They shouldn't have any kind of chip in them. Be careful with buying them off ebay though, they're made of a different, softer metal. It makes it really hard to cut and they bend easily.

What do you mean it doesn't have the original key? As in it doesn't have the original lock set? If its not the original lock set, then Kawi couldn't cut a key for it no matter what.

PS- you can't cut a key from a VIN.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
They shouldn't have any kind of chip in them. Be careful with buying them off ebay though, they're made of a different, softer metal. It makes it really hard to cut and they bend easily.

What do you mean it doesn't have the original key? As in it doesn't have the original lock set? If its not the original lock set, then Kawi couldn't cut a key for it no matter what.

PS- you can't cut a key from a VIN.
I lost one of my keys and called Kawi's corporate number to ask about getting a key cut from the vin. He said starting in 2008 they started keeping record of vehicle vin numbers and the corresponding key code needed to cut a new key. It didn't help me since i have an 05 and they didn't have mine on file, but technically you can get a key cut from the vin for the more recent model bikes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your ignition has a red ring around it that says "immobilizer," then your keys have chips, otherwise you're good with a standard key blank.

Thanks, I remember seeing info on the immobilizer now.
This is the one I'm talking about on ebay.
04 05 06 07 08 09 Key zx6r ZX10R ZX14R Ninja 650 ZX6 R ZX6 Blank 2004 2009 R | eBay

I'm sure it has the original lock and key set, I just don't have the original Kawi key. It just looks like a spare key someone had made at walmart.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
For the sake of having a correctly cut key I'd pony up the $32 for 1 factory key. What you have now are copies, Possibly of copies, (Who knows?) and everybody knows a copy of a copy gets sorta fuzzy. The locks on our bikes are kinda finicky anyway, So I'd prefer to have a good key to start with. Any further copies could be made on $9 EBAY blanks using this "Master Key"

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
i agree it is worth the $32 bucks at the stealership in this case.
if it doesnt work in your ignition the dealership will probably fix the issue, or make things right.

you order a $9 key from hong kong ching chong and your F'd if it doesnt work

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the sake of having a correctly cut key I'd pony up the $32 for 1 factory key. What you have now are copies, Possibly of copies, (Who knows?) and everybody knows a copy of a copy gets sorta fuzzy. The locks on our bikes are kinda finicky anyway, So I'd prefer to have a good key to start with. Any further copies could be made on $9 EBAY blanks using this "Master Key"
Good point. I'll just get the key from the stealership.

Hey, my bike came from Huntsville. Small world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts