Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's i got a quick question.... My bikes an 04 636 and was actually bought in 05 by the first owner and put on the road then. I've been reading a lot about old tires and so on so i really wanted to know if my stock BT-014 tires were good enought for another season.

My bike has about 2500 miles on her and was lady riden before me. The tires honestly still look brand new and still got lots and lots of tread left on them. middle looks great and edges look great. Inside the groves the tread doesn't look cracked at all.

The thing is I live in Toronto Canada and although the bike was stored inside a garage the weather does get pretty cold... and i'm pretty sure thats not good for rubber. I can provide pictures if needed but i just wanted a general answer. Should I ride these tires out since they basically still look new? Or should i just get new ones? thnx

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The age of the tires is going to be an issue, they dry out and turn to crap with age. I would replace them. My personal recommendation are BT016's.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You're Canadian and using miles?! You're not a pro racer that is only going to use the bike for track are you? If you are then I say get new tires. If you just ride street then you're not going to have a problem...the west is way colder then the east and I've never had a problem with my rubber. Even on track days I didn't. My stock 014 went after 7k km anyways. You'll need new tires either halfway into the season or at the end so ride them out.

BTW the 014 suck...fucking shit grip, takes way too long to warm up and even when they're warm they slip.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
The age of the tires is going to be an issue, they dry out and turn to crap with age. I would replace them. My personal recommendation are BT016's.
i am going to agree here as well. tires are cheap enough to replace, and age does affect them. better safe than sorry. i like qualifiers, and powers, but thats all personal taste. get some new rubber for the new season.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'm just saying that because my tire (2ct) went up fucking $30 this year! You know how much Canada is going to charge if I get a flat and need a new tire ASAP?! It's already $240 here...another $30 is going to make the bill $300+! Just for the rear!

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i would say replace them, mainly because the 014's were some of the worst tires i've ever ridden on

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Replace. My personal preference is m3. I'm waiting to try either the bt016's or pirelli corsa 3's in a few months.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
^^ corsa III's if it were me ;)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I agree with Jason, the age would be my main concern. As for the tires, corsa III's are freggin awsome. Replace them.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
age...check the date code...it will be a 4 digit number. wwyy WW is the week. YY is the year. 5 years is getting old. At 7 years I wouldn't think twice about tossing them regardless of their care.

If properly stored, winter storage doesn't harm tires.

its pretty subjective though...to say xx years and a tire is old...if it was stored poorly, 1 year can be too old.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Replace them, regardless what shape they are in. Those are shitty tires, bud. And you don't want shitty tires on your bike, because your life (literally) is riding on those tires.

And, jbreit nailed it. Awesome advice. Good luck and congrats on the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts