Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is familiar with PA's Titling Procedure, I would appreciate any assistance they could offer.

I just bought a 96 ZX-6R from someone in Chicago. I have the bike, and the title, which is in the person who I bought the bike from's name. I want to transfer the title to my name without registering the bike at this time (don't want to pay insurance all winter while I'm at school and can't ride the bike). I am fairly sure this is possible to do. My first question is this: do I need insurance to ONLY transfer the title to my name (I know you do for registering the bike). I didn't recieve a bill of sale yet for the bike, however I am waiting for the seller to send to me. I am assuming I need to pay sales tax to title the bike in PA. I was told this is calculated off the selling price on the bill of sale. Does anyone know if there is anything stopping me from making the selling price on the bill of sale a much lower amount than what I paid for the bike? I would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. I want to do everything legally as far as registration and insurance goes; I don't want any problems with anything like this down the road. If there is some good reason for me to tell the state the real price I paid for the bike? I've heard of numerous people buying cars privately then doing this, I just don't want any reprocussions however. I would much rather spend the money I would save doing this on the bike. :D

Thanks in advance,
Jordan

·
Registered
999 Posts
You can write whatever selling price you want on the back of the title. Im not sure about the insurance part I have switched titles before without it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no space to write the selling price on the back of the title, someone at PA's DMV told me they use the selling price off of a bill of sale. Do you absolutely need a bill of sale however? What would prevent me from making my own bill of sale with whatever purchase price I wanted?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.