Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of pants do you guys wear when ridin? Are jeans good enough for normal type of riding or is there something better? A set of leather pants seem a little extreme for everyday riding. Or am I wrong...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I forget the exact figure but.....it goes something like this.....denim will wear out at 50 mph in like 10ft.....So you tell me.

Personally I wear heavy jeans and under them I have BOHN leg armour. I want to get some kevlar jeans I think. And then this fall winter I want to start thinking about a full suit.

But I think for most street rides jeans are GOOD....given you have something on under to give your skin a fighting chance.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I have some AGV over-pants I'd be happy to sell you for $90 shipped. Had them in the classifieds and for some reason no one bit. Wore them twice.. $120 retail.

You can wear them alone, or wear them over jeans. They're padded in the important areas for a little extra protection.

If you're out riding hard, I wouldn't suggest wearing jeans alone without any extra protection. At least get some reinforced jeans made for riding, or some overpants like mine.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Keep in mind that unless they're lined, most jeans (kevlar or normal) will tear you up almost as badly as pavement. The worst roadrash I've seen recently was done by a guy's (unlined) leather chaps. The suede inner side of the leather tore his thigh up really horribly.

Most people believe that just because it's leather, it will keep you safe. The reality is, in an accident, whatever is against your skin WILL rub against you withfull force of contact - your inertia and mass, sliding along a VERY abrasive surface. Your clothing will want to rub your skin rather than the pavement, usually with your skin tearing loose from YOU.

So choose your gear carefully, and don't decide solely based on what it's exterior is made of.

·
Registered
156 Posts
id still prefer to have denim rubbing on my skin than asphalt. leg protection is a tough one for me. it is (IMO) impractical for me to wear a full riding suit to work, so I wear jeans knowing that (a) they are a damn sight better than slacks/khakis/shorts,and (b) nowhere as good as a riding suit. Granted, my commute is all of ~6miles with no highway riding. If that changed for the worse, then my choices of protective gear may well change too.

I know the risk and accept it, while attempting to mitigate the risk by trying to maintain hightened awareness in traffic, riding cautiously, and saving my need for speed until he weekend, when I wear a full race suit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use textile riding pants that have padding in the hips and armour in the knees, remember it isn't just road rash that you have to worry about. They are great for commuting because they just pull on over whatever you need to wear at work. Mine don't have any venting and can be warm on a hot day which will be more of a problem where you live. Wasn't much a problem here until this year, if I get another pair, they will have venting. On the upside of that, my legs have never been cold, even on the highway at 20 degrees F. They are also fairly rain resistant so you don't need a rainsuit for light to medium rain if you are just on the bike for an hour or so. If you do look into textile pants, they may seem awkward at first, but for me they are easy to put on now and I feel naked on the bike now if don't have them on. I use them even if it is just a few blocks, figure if nothing else, in low speed crash they will save a $50 pair of dress pants and maybe a fractured knee.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. thanks for the info guys. Going to look into gettin a pair of Icon leg protectors for under my jeans ( for the harder ridin' days )! Thanks for the input

Keep the shiny side up!:D

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Buy my pants dude.. lol

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by zx6r_fng
id still prefer to have denim rubbing on my skin than asphalt. leg protection is a tough one for me. it is (IMO) impractical for me to wear a full riding suit to work, so I wear jeans knowing that (a) they are a damn sight better than slacks/khakis/shorts,and (b) nowhere as good as a riding suit. Granted, my commute is all of ~6miles with no highway riding. If that changed for the worse, then my choices of protective gear may well change too.

I know the risk and accept it, while attempting to mitigate the risk by trying to maintain hightened awareness in traffic, riding cautiously, and saving my need for speed until he weekend, when I wear a full race suit.
Sensible viewpoint; we all have to compromise at times, and I tend to agree with you on this one. It is rarely cool enough to allow full leathers here in S. Florida, especially June-September (our summer). The trick in making such compromises is in knowing the risks inherent to each, and making an informed choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.