Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys street race when do you change your gears? I know the manuel expects you to be in 6th at 39mph which is riduculously stupid. Does the manuel say to take it slow so you gain more until you gain more expereice or something?

·
Registered
21 Posts
quote:6th at 39mph
What are you racing? parked porches?...:)
I go by feel and sometimes I glance down just to see what RPM you're at...i've never looked at speed to see when to shift...nether do i look at the tach, unless I was experimenting how fast the bike takes off at certain RPM to get the feel...
I shift from 6-8k RPM generally..and when i'm really playing, 12-14k RPM range...i'm no racer so i dunno what they'd do, but shifting in 12-14K RPM range while keeping the throttle opened and using minimal clutching is enough to tell me i'm going too fsckin' fast on the street...if i remember correctly one incident...1st gear up to around 60mph, shifted to 2nd then go to 3rd at probably 80mph..then went over 100mph on 3rd..then i looked around and hoped no cop saw me...:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I used to get up and go every once and a while when my bike was stock, but ever since I bought that great D&D can from localbar, after I get up to 5K its LOUD AS HELL and I start looking for cops.

BUT I LOVE IT!!!

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
223 Posts
The manual shouldn't have to tell you to take it slow at first, common sense should. I agree w/ndb, try to get a feel of when to shift w/out looking at the gauges. When wringing it out things happen way too fast to be looking down and not ahead.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You all may or may not be aware that the isle of man is the road race capital of the world gears are changed when the limiter is hit this is what is known as hardcore riding and is a sight to see the event is held evey may for two weeks and the track is 37 miles long running through tiny villages and narrow roads it is unreel to watch these guys going this fast you see them coming and think they ain't going around that corner at that speed and they do is just hard to believe, I was on bray hill a part of the circuit only feet away from the road and dave jeffries past me at 187mph these guys have got bollocks of steel and only get paid around £65000 pounds per annum for risking there lives this cannot be right when top class premiership football players get paid £65000 a week!!!!!!!!!!! what a load of bollocks that is sorry for going off on one but it really pisses me off.

FTP

IF YOUR NOT RIDING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.