Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I layed my bike down about a month ago (light lowside at about 30mph). I have most of the parts in to fix it and have been working on it recently. I have one quick question though. The other day while I was doing a U-turn in full handlebar lockout, my starter button pressed against my frame and subsequently made the engine try to turn over again. I have never noticed that happen before, but that isn't saying much. I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else or did I bend my clip-on during the lay down? It's an 05 zx-6r. Let me know. Thanks.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Had same problem loosened bolt holding clip on and re-aligned measuring the side that has not been layed over on and go exact size tighten back up.. Problem solved for me unless you bent or broke clip on. [8D]

·
Registered
108 Posts
This happened to me when I laid mine down. My problem isn't a bent clip-on but the mount for the clip-on on the underside of the upper triple tree clamp busted out which slightly turned the clip-on towards the frame. You can easily loosen the clip on and twist it back into it's original position but then you don't have the original strength because you no longer have the mount for the clip-on, unless you replace the upper triple which is what I'm doing.

·
Powerhungry
37,956 Posts
yeh sounds like the upper triple is busted. same thing happened to me. but from what im hearing. save your money and just rotate it back to where it goes. apparently aftermarket clip-ons dont even have that "set screw"
this i learned after i got the new triple clamp:(

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by Wicked_ZX
This happened to me when I laid mine down. My problem isn't a bent clip-on but the mount for the clip-on on the underside of the upper triple tree clamp busted out which slightly turned the clip-on towards the frame. You can easily loosen the clip on and twist it back into it's original position but then you don't have the original strength because you no longer have the mount for the clip-on, unless you replace the upper triple which is what I'm doing.
Yup, same thing for me. I talked to guy at my dealership and he said not to waste my money on new triple clamp. That lock is there for the factory to easily be able to align the clipons and aftermarket clipons don't come with it so it's not necessary. Just make sure they're straight and you torque it down good.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Saved me too! I just picked up an '05 that went down and the mount point on the upper triple was busted. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright. So there are a couple different suggestions, but basically all the same idea. I am going to loosen up the clip-on and make sure that it is properly aligned and then go from there I guess. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Thanks for the comments/suggestions everyone....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I messed with it today and it was turned in towards the frame slightly. I loosened it up and realigned it. It's all good but the shitty thing is, the little mounting point that lines the clip-on up with the top triple tree (where the bolt threads into) broke. There is a little less than half of the original mounting point. So I guess I'll be buying a Vortex top triple tree when I get around to it....

·
Powerhungry
37,956 Posts
Originally posted by ShiftyCapone
So I messed with it today and it was turned in towards the frame slightly. I loosened it up and realigned it. It's all good but the shitty thing is, the little mounting point that lines the clip-on up with the top triple tree (where the bolt threads into) broke. There is a little less than half of the original mounting point. So I guess I'll be buying a Vortex top triple tree when I get around to it....
ur talking the peice underneath? if so thats what the aftermarket ones DONT HAVE. so save ur money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.