Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
Joined
·
45,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ernie, I was reading the other post about air pressure but I wanted to get your attention. When you are running the track, do you adjust your air pressure say, after the first session. I know I usually run about 30 front and 31 or 32 rear but after a session, the pressure jumps a good 5 or 6 pounds after the tire warms. So do you leave it or let some out before the next session?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Absolutely adjust prior to going out at all, with tires cold. Your pressure should rise 5-7 pounds after a session, just like yours did. Do not adjust the hot pressure unless you really know what you are doing and the recommendations for hot adjustment. I adjust my tires ONCE in the AM when they are cold and that is it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Originally posted by screamer294
If you run Nitrogen you won't have to worry about it. Most GOOD bike shops will have nitrogen generators.
No such thing as a nitrogen generator, you just buy it in a tank. Air is about 87% nitrogen anyway. And at the races you will get plain old air.

Frankly the whole nitrogen thing is just short of BS. You get a little less leakage and change in temp. But then you have to have access to nitrogen if you want to change your pressure.......
 

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
Joined
·
45,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Ernie

Absolutely adjust prior to going out at all, with tires cold. Your pressure should rise 5-7 pounds after a session, just like yours did. Do not adjust the hot pressure unless you really know what you are doing and the recommendations for hot adjustment. I adjust my tires ONCE in the AM when they are cold and that is it.
Good deal, thanks. I didn't know if it would be a wise thing to do for the track or not.
 

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
Joined
·
45,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Ernie



No such thing as a nitrogen generator, you just buy it in a tank. Air is about 87% nitrogen anyway. And at the races you will get plain old air.

Frankly the whole nitrogen thing is just short of BS. You get a little less leakage and change in temp. But then you have to have access to nitrogen if you want to change your pressure.......
Screamer294, I appreciate the reply but I'm just a recreational track day rider so I'm not gonna worry about it that much. I do however, want to improve each time out and so far I've learned that suspension and tires make a world of difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
The main difference in how regular air and nitrogen works is that nitrogen is not affected my temp changes that cause norma air to expand and alter pressure readings.
 

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
Joined
·
45,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by screamer294



That wouldn't be the first time the Air Force paid that much for something that didn't do anything.

Well at least at the Navy, when we buy $600 hammers and $500 toilet seats, they do what they're supposed to!!!! [8D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
If you have a nitrogen generator (which separates nitrogen out of air) , you have one because you use more nitrogen that economically is used by buying it by the tank. Most moto shops will have a small tank to refill shocks. If you are refilling aircraft tires you will have a generator for sure. And sorry for my statement obviously there are nitrogen generators, but they are not owned by moto shops or car shops, they are owned by gas suppliers and outfits that need large amounts of nitrogen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
We used nitrogen all the time in our race shops and at the track. Nitrogen is the sh*t when a slight change in tire pressure when the tire warms up means the difference between 1/4 to 1/2 a second faster lap times and a more consistent line. :D
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,894 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie
Huh I wonder why Dunlop uses air at the AMA races.
Because they're Dunlop. They know it doesn't matter what the hell they put in their tires, they're still going to suck ass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt



Because they're Dunlop. They know it doesn't matter what the hell they put in their tires, they're still going to suck ass.
yeah that would be why Dunlop has a virtually unbroken string of AMA wins and the AMA laptimes are faster than WSB on Pirellis. You're right.
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,894 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie



yeah that would be why Dunlop has a virtually unbroken string of AMA wins and the AMA laptimes are faster than WSB on Pirellis. You're right.
Am I missing something? When does WSB come to America? And Dunlop has an unbroken string because they pay to have Mladin and Spies ride their tires. They bought out AMA dirt track for a shit ton of money, so they HAVE to run Dunlops, and they buy out AMA street teams, too. 90% of the AMA riders teams are paid good money to run Dunlops because Dunlop concentrates their marketing budget in the AMA, just like Pirelli concentrates their marketing budget in WSB. More Dunlops win AMA because the only teams not running Dunlops are teams so piss poor that they're not worth Dunlop's money. Besides, Mladin and Spies could probably outride most people on race tires if they were using street/trackday tires.

It's also the same reason Honda wins Formula X, and nothing else (except MotoGP, but that's different). Honda's the only manufacturer to put honest budget power behind a Formula X team, so they can say "Look, we win!" It's the same reason the world goes round, man. AMA runs Dunlops because Dunlop pays the bills.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top