Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of headphones do you guys use to be able to hear the music while blocking out most of the wind noise?

I just got a $100 pair of sony noise cancelation ear phones and I can't say that they work much better than the shitty ones that came with the bike. As soon as I put the helmet on the padding seems to pull the ear phone just a little bit out of my ear, and as soon as I start going over 30 mph all I really hear is a bunch of of wind noise mixed in with tid bits of my favorite songs. I have the cd player all the way up, which is louder than I want to be listening to it anyways.

Is there any set of headphones where I can just listen to my music at anything less than full volume and be able to hear it much better? I don't want to knock my ear drums out.

Luckily, my friend works at pc richard and son and sold me the ear phones for 40 bucks, he just cut the box open and gave me a wicked discount!

I'm gunna try them out again, but I'll probably end up returning them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't listen to music when I ride, but I have a cheap pair of in-ear headphones I got off amazon for like $10-15. They fit just like foam earplugs, block out a good amt out outside noise, stay in my ear, and I can clearly hear my music with the volume 80% lower then I used to when walking around NYC.

I'd say give those a shot for 15 bucks you can't go wrong. Search Amazon for "Koss in ear headphones" you should find it.

As a side note, my snowboard helmet has speakers in the earpads, and they work great, so I'm sure that would work too.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sony Fontopias. Used them on the bike for years. Wouldnt use anything else.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I use some sony earphones, they are $10-$14. They have a loop that goes over the back side of your ear and holds them in place.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think i use the same ones as sneaky. They have a clip that goes over the ear and little ear buds and the helmet holds them nicely in place. I can keep them on fairly low and hear everything around me.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to try and return the ones I got and look into some of these other options. It's funny, because I was actually holding those fontopia ear phones but my friend was saying how they were just noise reducing phones and these 100 dollar noise cancelation phoens would work better. The ones I have have a bigger piece that goes right near the ear bud and they seem to push out of my ear when the helmet is on, the fontopias are smaller and would probably stay in place better when riding around. It could also be that my helmet lets a lot of wind noise through, its a shoei model that came with my 9r. I like it a lot better than my kbc helmet, but I'm sure there are much better helmets out none the less.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a pair of Shure e4c, they are great for blocking out sound. They come with different types of filters to choose from. You can find a brand new pair for about $150 - $170 on ebay.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tried the Shure set. I couldn't get them to stay in my ear for anything. I think it has a lot to do with the helmet design too. Mine would always catch the end of them when putting it on.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
when i wear the small ear bud style headphones(even the nice sony ones) with my helmet on, after about 20-30 minutes my ears really hurt from having the buds forced in by the helmet. i think i want to try the helmet speakers coldboyblue posted.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I just use my iPod headphones. With 15+gigs of music on there, throw it on shuffle...all of a sudden the hour long commute to see the girlfriend at school isn't so bad.

But as for the headphones, if you can get them to stay in your ear, which is generally a pain in the ass at times, they're fine.

Just make sure you're not dancing on your bike to the music in traffic...which I am so guilty of, and get a lot of laughs out of people in cars!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.