Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 zx9r with the factory filter, a 4 degree advancer and a Muzzy round slip on. This bike had a lot more balls with the Jardine B/O that it had when I bought it. Immediately after adding the Muzzy, I noticed a decrease in acceleration down low in first. I had my bike jetted (or so I thought) but I soon had it dyno tuned. On my dyno sheet, it says they removed the 155 jets and replaced them with 152s and my HP increased from 128 to 133.4. I have decided that I really don't care about the max hp. I want the bike to run like before. The mid and top seem fine but it doesn't pull hard until I go to second gear. The dreaded lag is back also when I first pull the throttle. Should I go back to the Jardine? Should I go with the oval Muzzy? Muzzy says that the oval and round pipes performance is the same.And last when I jet this (doing it myself this time, what is the recommendation for the mains. I read the outer and inner should be different. And how is it possible that I have 152 main jets in my bike from a Dyno tune if everyone else is going up in the 160's? Please help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If your going to tune it yourself use the base-line settings recommended by the kits manufacturer(Ivan's or Factory Pro)and then go from there.
Stock my 02 runs #1,4 is #165 and 2,3 is #160.
High altitude bike is pilot #35(from #38) and #152 main.
Then there is the fact that jet numbers don't match up and needles have diff tapers.
Here is a link http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/dyno-mikuni.htm.
My bike was sent to a local race shop by the previous owner.
He asked for a FP kit and they only swapped the pilot jets stating that the bike doesn't have a full system, its not really needed.
Charged him $10 for parts instead of $140+.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
367 Posts
sounds like an awful lot less fuss to just use the jardine pipe... if it was running well everywhere with the jardine, but screwed in many spots with the muzzy then its not worth the headache to get everything perfect (perfect throttle responce, no flat spots etc)

otherwise, just do everything the jetkit says to down to the letter.

ps. take the steel mesh out of the stock air filter while your at it, its free and worth a few HP.. wont change tuning requirements like a K&N will either.

·
Registered
717 Posts
hmmm....do a search of my posts perhaps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.