Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the other day I approached a green traffic light and about to make a right turn. I slowed down (brake) and downshifted a gear before the turn. I leaned, and felt a front wobble (a little past the intersection) and noticed that I'm going wide. I looked through the turn and barely made it without hitting the center divider. My question is what caused that front wobble? Lost traction? Did I brake too hard? Not enough throttle?

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
this may sound stupid, but I've seen a lot of people who crash because they got stuck between the point of regular steering input (slow speeds) and counter-steering (higher speeds). I got over that by going into an empty parking lot and turning at various speeds to get a hang for that change. IIRC, my input changes over around 20 mph...

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
Oh....did you happen to go back to the corner and look for any gravel or fluids?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There were uneven grounds (patches of new pavement so not really level, I dont know if that was the cause). I'm just glad I didn't fixate on the center divider, or else i would've crashed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I leaned, and felt a front wobble (a little past the intersection) and noticed that I'm going wide. I looked through the turn and barely made it without hitting the center divider. My question is what caused that front wobble? Lost traction? Did I brake too hard? Not enough throttle?
The good news is you made it through and didn't fixate on the center divide (guaranteed to hit what ever you fixate on every time).

Assuming you had your entry speed down, as you leaned into the turn what were you doing with the throttle; rolling off, holding constant, or rolling on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The good news is you made it through and didn't fixate on the center divide (guaranteed to hit what ever you fixate on every time).

Assuming you had your entry speed down, as you leaned into the turn what were you doing with the throttle; rolling off, holding constant, or rolling on?
At that time, I was rolling on the throttle just a little. Do you think it might not be enough?

·
Registered
139 Posts
At that time, I was rolling on the throttle just a little. Do you think it might not be enough?
Might not have been enough. What I was taught that if the entry speed is correct you roll on the throttle at the apex and should be able to roll up to the speed/shift you want. Never roll off. If you were only holding what you had as the turn/lean increased you would have actually been scrubbing speed off.

As others have said, go find a nice parking lot and work on the turns from different speeds.

Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have this problem all the time.

The wobble was likely due to the road surface. Your not in a car anymore, the front tire on motorcycles likes to follow the pits and grooves in the road much more than a car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you feel you are going a bit wide just press down a little on the inside grip and give the bike some more gas. Not a lot, but it helps pull you through. You would be amazed at how well this works. The trick is teaching yourself to do this in the middle of a turn where you feel you are not going to make it. Hitting the brakes or even closing the throttle will make the bike stand up and go even wider. Find some twisty roads early some morning and practice, practice, practice.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts