Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 zx6rr and have owned one other bike before. I am having this problem that has been ocurring more often than i'd like it to that i've never expirenced before....It seems like every once in a great while my chain or something in the rear feels like it tightens down or binds then i hear a SNAP but everything checks out ok. I never had this problem before lemme know something if you have ran into this.

Also i'm having trouble getting into first from neutral without letting go of the clutch a little...2nd to third takes 2 trys sometimes. I've never expirenced this someone tell me whats up

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
How tight is your chain? If it's anything like a guitar string that might be contributing to your problems, can't say for sure since I've never had the problem myself. Be wary, tight chains WILL pull the countershaft through the cases.

Your chain may be putting so much stress on the counter shaft that it's making shifting difficult. If your bike is brand new, for whatever reason, these Kaw's are a little finicky off the bat but get better with the miles. Otherwise, how tight is your chain?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Check your clutch cable. Make sure the tensoin is adjusted properly. Turn the little knob where the cable comes from the hand controls until you see the metal lever, on the side of the bike on top of the clutch, move then turn it back just a little. It should be right at the point where the slightest pressure begins to pull the clutch, but not too tight so as it always has tension.
For the binding and snapping sound I would check the tension on the chain and lube the chain also. When you push up on the chain from the bottom at the center between the drive sprocket and wheel sprocket it should only move about 3cm up. any more and its too loose. if it wont move and feels super tight, its too tight (duh)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree ... it sounds like your chain is too tight
or you COULD have a frozen link in your chain - VERY unlikely if you have an 03 zx6r.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.