Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i found someone selling their 08 about 3 hrs from me, it's got about 1000 miles on it, but they haven't done the 600 mile service check or changed the oil/filter once... should i pass on it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i wouldnt pass on it. there isnt much to the 600 mile service besides an oil change but thats hella long without having one. id use it to your advantage and talk him down in price. i wouldnt offer more than $3600 +/- very little

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i wouldnt pass on it. there isnt much to the 600 mile service besides an oil change but thats hella long without having one. id use it to your advantage and talk him down in price. i wouldnt offer more than $3600 +/- very little
thanks for the replies everyone. i got them down to 3700, they had an oil filter and 2 quarts of oil they were gonna use, so that's included and also they had a cover that they're throwing in and warranty is good til next may still. so i think i hafta take them up on it and hopefully i'll get off work early enough tomorrow to take the 3 1/2 trip over there and get back by midnight, wish me luck and thanks again for the replies/info!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO
buy it, change the oil/filter, ride it a couple days, then change oil/filter again
thanks for the advice, so i guess i'll buy it from them, change oil/filter, then ride it 100 miles or so and do it again

·
Registered
475 Posts
Its no big deal. As long as the bike is clean and not thrashed, you should be good. Modern engine manufacturing and oil quality have come a long ways in the past several years. These motors are pretty much bulletproof. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its no big deal. As long as the bike is clean and not thrashed, you should be good. Modern engine manufacturing and oil quality have come a long ways in the past several years. These motors are pretty much bulletproof. Good luck.
thanks, they just sent me some hi-res pics and it's in PERFECT SHAPE, plus they also added a fender eliminator already so i save some money there too, hopefully i'll be able to pick it up tomorrow or tues and post pics once i do of course

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
they sent me a vid and it looks and sounds good, i think i'll jump on it

·
Registered
274 Posts
how long do you plan on keeping it? i always think long term, forever so i take care of my vehicles. if it's a two year jaunt for you, do it. $3600 for a used year old bike? just get a new one, that's crazy. i think i will buy a couple of 2009's, keep one and ride one the way they are selling. j

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how long do you plan on keeping it? i always think long term, forever so i take care of my vehicles. if it's a two year jaunt for you, do it. $3600 for a used year old bike? just get a new one, that's crazy. i think i will buy a couple of 2009's, keep one and ride one the way they are selling. j
lol you obviously don't know the situation down here in south florida where a 2008 at the dealer goes for 4900, used 2008's go for minimum 4k, but most ask for 4300 or 4500 and every dealer i've spoken to (which is around 12 dealerships) have quoted me at 5500 for the 2009s, so a 2008 with less than 1000 miles, fender eliminator, and cover for 3700 is a really good deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the price isnt that bad with the things included. still i'd show 3600 and you'll probably take it. seeing your in south florida so you can ride comfortable all winter they should hold more value. for someone up north like me the end of the season is near it would be best waiting it out to pay these prices for the 09.
tho no dealer ive talked to has said a crazy price like 5500 if the supply runs short or maybe even for the first few that come in, i bet they'll be right up there..

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
the price isnt that bad with the things included. still i'd show 3600 and you'll probably take it. seeing your in south florida so you can ride comfortable all winter they should hold more value. for someone up north like me the end of the season is near it would be best waiting it out to pay these prices for the 09.
tho no dealer ive talked to has said a crazy price like 5500 if the supply runs short or maybe even for the first few that come in, i bet they'll be right up there..
What's $100 when you're already spending $3700? I wouldn't do it, I'd give him the $3700, it's a great price. Don't mess it up for just $100.

·
Registered
216 Posts
$3700 is a good deal. Just take it for that as you've obviously checked the prices and know that these bikes are hard to come by, especially at that price. Jump on it. As for the 600mile service, when I bought my 250 the dealer told me to do it at 1000 miles so either way your good. Also with every new bike I've had and done that first 600-1000 mile service, they've always said the bike looks and is running perfectly so it almost seems like a waste to do it, but I do anyways. Good luck.

P.S. I didn't notice but maybe I missed it; What color is the bike?

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,866 Posts
I have to ask...is a used 250 with no real quality race-ready components really worth damn near $4k? I understand that the markets dictate the price, and that there are people out there who pay that much...but that doesn't mean that those people are in any way in their right minds.:dunno: You can get a FAR superior motorcycle for just a couple hundred more, or if you're stuck on getting a 250, you can get a functionally equal bike for half that. I'm just saying, I see all of these threads all over this board, and I see everyone suggesting that $4,000 for an entry-level 250 "sport" bike is a "good price", and I just have to wonder if ANYONE 'round these parts is truly thinking with a clear and level head. :dunno: Just a little reality check, I guess. If it's REALLY worth $4,000 to you guys, then have at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What's $100 when you're already spending $3700?
$100 could be the first 1-2 months in gas. $100 could pay for half a jacket pants or helmet. $100 could be a full day of work. $100 brings the price that much closer to the actual value. as skywalker said paying these used prices make you damn near crazy every dollar counts.
add i highly doubt subtracting $100 off the asking price would ruin the deal.;)

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
$100 could also piss the seller off and he walks away; phillypharm loses the bike.

Nope not worth it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Geeze, Go buy it if you haven't already. It's a great little bike and I wouldn't be concerned about the oil change. For the market today the price is ok.
Bill N.

·
Registered
74 Posts
With the price increase of 09 model and no lime green color offered on 09 models,,, 08 models sold out with dealer markup.. can you imagine what the dealers must be salivating on jacking up those 09 models.... Bet the dealer can't wait to get their hands on those profitable jackup ninja 250..

used 08 market prices also might go up as 09 models price jackup with guaranteed dealer jack up.. continuing economy of gas prices at all time high,,, people wil keep riding their gas saving ninjas till gas goes down to less then $2 gallon.

I am breaking mine in and already getting 51mpg and that's riding it hard... once broken in miles and front 15t sprocket change expect mpg to be around 60mpg or higher... never expecting to get 70mpg(dreaming ride conditions.)

go over there and buy it before somebodyelse does.
Also 500miles service is dealer BS of $200 of nothing more then a oil change and checking bolt tighteness, cables---half the time, all they do is oil change and that's it---so you paid $200 for a 500mile service which in reality is nothing more then a oil change..
Hell with that,,, I just did my oil change and did better job then less caring mechanics at dealers.. I will do all maitenance items,,, all except valve adjustment and carb syn---which are only done around 16k miles( I think) and even then most valve adjustment check confirmed that valves are still okay and not out of tolerance or in need of adjustment. Besides how do we really know if dealers are doing the valve adjustment if its okay...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts