Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a new '03 from the dealer last week. Has 210 miles on it. It will now sit in the garage til spring. Bummer. I read in the manual to drain all the gas from the tank then idle bike til it stalls. I have always did the opposite. Fill the tank, add stabil and run it til gas is thru the entire fuel system. What should i do?
Also, i have read and heard that idle should be avoided for long durations b4 proper break-in. Will doing one of the above with idle either to empty or stabilize system have any adverse effect?
thanks in advance......mike the 636 newbie
ps...insurance on this beast is nasty![8]

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was always told: Short term storage, full gas with stabiliser, run it thru the carbs. Long term: drain gas.
I don't think it's great to idle long periods with a fresh bike.

·
Registered
934 Posts
So then the question would be: what's considered short term storage and what's long term? [:M74]

If it were me... I would just go with the Stabil method. [8D]

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Long-term storage would probably be anything longer than oh... say 5-7 months. But, it's not like having a full-stabilized tank of gas is going to hurt anything if left in for upwards of a year. In fact, STA-BIL is good for keeping gas 'fresh' for an entire year. That is the way to go. Also, the 5 minute idle time required to circulate the stabilizer through the system is not near long enough to produce any ill-effects on a new, not yet broken in engine.;)

"idle should be avoided for long durations b4 proper break-in"

Long durations = 20 to 30+ minute idling.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Just to add a bit more information, I will quote the back label of a STA-BIL bottle.

"Stored fuel deteriorates in 60 days causing varnish deposits to build up in engines resulting in starting problems, poor performance and reduced engine life. STA-BIL keeps fresh fuel fresh for 12 months. Plus it contains a water remover to prevent corrosion and a fuel injector and carburetor cleaner to restore power. STA-BIL eliminates the need to drain fuel prior to storage. For best results, treat fuel promptly when purchased.

USES: STA-BIL ensures quick starts in all 2 & 4 cycle engines. Use in gas, gasohol, gas/oil mixtures, oxygenated gas, diesel fuel. DOSAGE: 1 ounce treats 2-1/2 gallons.

DIRECTIONS: ...For extended storage, use double the recommended dosage. Prior to storage, run engine 5 minutes. STA-BIL can be used for up to two years after opening bottle."*

*-Gold Eagle Co. 2002

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
I have a different question along the lines of storage though. For all you apartment dwellers that have to store you bike during the winter how many of you store it inside your apartment? Ya know, so you can clean it...sit on it praying for warm weather...whatever.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by Monstermack
I have a different question along the lines of storage though. For all you apartment dwellers that have to store you bike during the winter how many of you store it inside your apartment? Ya know, so you can clean it...sit on it praying for warm weather...whatever.
-I have to store my Ninja outside during winter(poor thing) cus my wife don`t let me store it in the livingroom(the only room with enough space..)
she`s the boss.......

Don`t U think this "princess" deserve something better than the backyard?...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Originally posted by Speedvlaze
I have a nice little shed for mine. Sleeps cozy all winter long:)
Same here... Insulated and temp controlled to at least 50 degrees F, keeps my baby warm all winter long!
[8D]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Originally posted by Speedvlaze

I just gave mine a blankie.[V]
LMAO! [:M119]

Sorry, no offense intended... the "blankie" just struck me as funny. Yes, the heated shed is probably going overboard but its great for when I feel like tinkering with my bike! [8D] You know, gotta go out and see her from time to time as it can be a long winter... miss her madly. :( ;)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by BSHAP
the "blankie" just struck me as funny.
I was going for that. I certainly don't use a term like that in seriousness.;) haha

Also, I don't think a heated shed would necessarily be going overboard. The bike is good to you during the summer. You're just returning the favor during the winter.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.