Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to Florida to go to graduate school and am thinking bout selling my car and buying a used Ninja ZX6r. The question I have is this, the bike would be my only transportation (which I wouldn't mind at all) but it will be my primary means of gettin places. Is it feisable to only have a bike and no car?

thanks

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
If all I had to worry about was rain, I would've sold my car last year. But, since it snows here in KY for three months out of the year, it's out of the question for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've ridden in the rain before on my 250 which I am getting rid of and it isn't that bad. I've been riding on the 250 for like 2 years now and rode my friends EX500 and a Cruising type bike which is 700ccs. Rain is all that I'll have to worry about.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Dude, I have had a motorcycle as my only means of transportation for two years. And I live in New York! I had to buy a car recently and sell the bike, but only because I needed something I could throw all my sh*t in and drive out West, where I am moving in January. But trust me, if I could do it in NY, with the winter and everything, doing it in Florida should be no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Think weather protection and cargo space as downers. Then think savings, (gas, time spent in traffic jams, insurance). and last but not least the babes:D unless you have a ferrari or something like that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, as a native floridian and an employee of a motorcycle shop, it happens more then you think....and actually most of the kids with bikes as their main trnsportation are all school kids (college)......just be sure you find a good bike and keep up on the maintnence and you'll be just fine!!!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
My thoughts.....doable, not ideal.....fun, but not practicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
What part of Florida are you moving to? I live in Tally going to FSU. I had a bike and a car, but the car only moved during rain storms. However, I just recently got into an accident on the bike when a car pulled out in front of me. Im a little banged up but will ride again. Having only a bike is fine as long as you dont mind getting wet and dont have to have a large cargo area. Make sure you get a reliable bike and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You ought to just keep the EX250 until you get out of grad school. It is the ideal transportation for a starving student. You can buy a pair of tires for $100, you don't have to be paranoid about someone stealing it and it gets 65 miles per gallon of regular gas. All you need is some sort of jury-rigged tail pack to carry groceries and stuff in. Try a stolen (borrowed) milk crate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Year-round bike riding in New York?! NinjaRider you are my idol!
[:M11]
Geez, and the guys here razz me for riding in December with heated grips and a winter coat over my leathers. I am inspired!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice and responses. But I would like to get rid of the 250 so I can pay that loan off. I would love to have a 636 but I'll think about it some more on what I should do. I'll be moving to Orlando and going to UCF.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by charlies_angel
riding in December with heated grips and a winter coat over my leathers.

Bugger that, no way would I be riding with heated grips and a coat in december [:eek:)].

Riding in the rain isn't so bad, I hate riding when it is windy and the bike gets blown around. Some of the guys ride all year round even during the peak of winter when its -4C :(

:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lots of rain ............. get the bike .............. then get a beater car for those times when the rain is just too much. I am a native Floridian and there are times when it rains that even operating a car can be a challenge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.