Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I remember somebody asking this before but I couldn't find the thread. My bike has always been kept in the garage and since it's winter it's stayed in there. I start it up about once a week and let it run for about 10-15 minutes. It's sounds fine and as when I give it a little throttle action as soon as I release it, it cuts off. Is it the gas that's in the tank or what I'm not mechanically inclined so any help would be sweet.:confused:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
its cause your bike is not fully warmed up yet, just cause your water temp says one thiS dosent mean all the metal and oil are also at the same temp. Your bike is fine fill it up with gas, put engine stabil in the gas and let it run for 20 mins so the treated gas gets into the injectors.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Idle is set too low. It should be set at 1300+/- 50 rpm.

Habs

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also could be incorrect oil grade being used. If its wrong it will be at the wrong viscosity when its cold and cause similar issues to what you are experiencing.
However, i would say its more likely that the engine just hasn't warmed up yet

King

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it was definitely the idle RPM. It sounded a bit different but I increased it just a bit and it seems to have done the trick. I did think that it could be the oil just because it recently got an oil change from the dealer. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
mine does it too untill its warmed rigth up.. I dont care what anyone says, I like to start my bike once per week. its a little hard starting with anything below -30c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't shoot me if you think I'm wrong, but letting your engine warm up while idle (by which i mean not riding & using the gears etc) is bad. I know a whole lot of mechanics, and most of 'em agree with me on this one. Well actually, they probably know better than me ;)
Is it bad to not use your engine at all? (being either a bike, car, or anything)
Yeah, it is, and I wouldn't know which one of the two would be better though I'm guessing it's better to fire it up once and a while.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think I remember somebody asking this before but I couldn't find the thread. My bike has always been kept in the garage and since it's winter it's stayed in there. I start it up about once a week and let it run for about 10-15 minutes. It's sounds fine and as when I give it a little throttle action as soon as I release it, it cuts off. Is it the gas that's in the tank or what I'm not mechanically inclined so any help would be sweet.:confused:
If the bike sits for 4 months properly winterized, there can be no damage to the engine. Every time you start the bike you do a little bit of damage.

While in storage, you are much better off not starting the bike, you do much more damage by starting it every few weeks than if you just let it sit in hibernation.

Reactions: Dageorge

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, been wanting to know that one myself for quite sometime. I don't like starting my bike if I'm not gonna ride it, and cause it's in the livingroom during winters, I'm not going to either :D
..though I do admit that the temptation of hearing that beautiful noise is too much sometimes :devil16:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, been wanting to know that one myself for quite sometime. I don't like starting my bike if I'm not gonna ride it, and cause it's in the livingroom during winters, I'm not going to either :D
..though I do admit that the temptation of hearing that beautiful noise is too much sometimes :devil16:
Your bike is in the living room in the winter? how cool is that. I'd take mine to bed with me if i could get it up the stairs

King

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your bike is in the living room in the winter? how cool is that. I'd take mine to bed with me if i could get it up the stairs

King
Not only to protect it from the winter, but so I can sleep a little better at night of course! Except when my little nephew comes over to play, then I pray to the anti scratching Gods

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yeah it was definitely the idle RPM. It sounded a bit different but I increased it just a bit and it seems to have done the trick. I did think that it could be the oil just because it recently got an oil change from the dealer. Thanks for the help.
You're welcome. I agree starting it every week isn't doing it any good. Not to mention at idle the charging system is not producing enough to properly recharge the battery after numerous starts.

If it's been prepped for storage leave it stored. If you're not gonna ride it don't start it within reason of course. If you have a tender use it and leave the bike alone if you can. I know I get the itch just to hear her sing to me. It's prob a good thing it's at my buddy's place lol.

Habs

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Not only to protect it from the winter, but so I can sleep a little better at night of course! Except when my little nephew comes over to play, then I pray to the anti scratching Gods
My land lord would shit a brick lol. Get a cover or just throw a sheet over it when the little snot flickers are over.

Habs

·
Registered
81 Posts
I really wish i had room somewhere in my house for mine, i find myself going and checking its still there sometimes if i've heard a noise outside. If i catch someone trying to take it i will be dealing out death all over the place
:pistols:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts