Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying a shortened slip on to replace my OEM. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if shortening the can will change the performance and how. I know it will be louder unless they pack it more, but thats definitely fine with me. Also, does every slip on require a FI fix? Any help much appreciated. Tried to search but couldnt find much. Maybe I just donno how to use the search... Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I cut 4" off of my RS5 two weeks ago. It's a little louder. Performance is not any different. It's a slip on...

·
Registered
114 Posts
shorter typically means less torque, typically
Would shortening a slip on really make a difference that you would notice? I think a dyno would show barely any difference at all. A full system would be much worse because of losing the cat. So that would mean everyone running a full system would lose tons of torque & back pressure right? Please correct me if I am wrong. I've just seen a few people warning others about losing torque & back pressure if they trim their slip on but never seen anyone saying that about a full system.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
typically when people install a full system they are also going to install a power commander or other tuning system in order to correct the problems involved with a change in pressures.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im looking at buying a shortened slip on to replace my OEM. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if shortening the can will change the performance and how. I know it will be louder unless they pack it more, but thats definitely fine with me. Also, does every slip on require a FI fix? Any help much appreciated. Tried to search but couldnt find much. Maybe I just donno how to use the search... Thanks!

Most slip-ons that I have seen come with a part to install for fixing the FI light. When you disconnect the stock exhaust, the FI light will come on because you will disconnect the cables. If you are buying a used slip-on hopefully they include the 'butterfly' part to install. If you need to see what I am talking about, you can look up the install procedure online which should include directions on how to install the 'butterfly'. I would stay away from the generic ones you see on Ebay. Make sure you buy a name brand slip on. Someone on this site bought a generic carbon slip-on for 200 bucks & after he trimmed it, it melted after 15 minutes of highway riding. If you are not buying a carbon slip-on, you probably won't have to worry about melting & a generic metal slip-on one should work just fine. If you buy a normal un touched slip-on, it is very easy to shorten it with a hack saw & a rivet gun. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts