Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 ZX6R. I purchased it last year, from a dealership. It was a repo, got it pretty cheap. The CDI was messed up on it, so i put one on from a junk 1994 ZX7 that they had there. It seems to run fine with it. Here is my questions. I need to clean the carbs, but unsure how to do it. A friend said that I may need new needles. How hard is this to do? Also do we have to adjust the cam chain and valves in this bike? What type of oil should i be using, and how much to put in. that is pretty much all my questions for now. If anyone has a used repair manual for this bike, i would like to buy it from you as well.

thanks
Charles

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have a '95 and a repair manual so I ought to be able to answer some of you questions.

The carbs are pretty easy to clean. It is just a matter of taking them apart and putting them back together. Some Kawasakis had trouble with float needles but I don't think the '95-'97 were among them. Mine has about 22,000 on it and the needles are fine.

Adjusting the valves is a bitch. You will need a manual for sure. The cam chain is self adjusting.

The bike takes about 4 quarts. Start a little low. Mine takes about 4 quarts plus about 8 ozs to bring it up to the center of the sight glass. The oil filter # is 16097-1072. You can get them from the dealer for about $13 or from ronayers.com for about $6. I am using Mobil 1 15w50 (car stuff). Any oil that is 10w40, 10w50, 20w40 or 20w50 will work fine.

You can get a repair manual for ronayers.com for about $35. The part # is 99924-1184-02.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.