Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do my first trackday (the last one scheduled for the season) and have a few questions. First, what do you guys were under your leathers?
Also is there any certain tape required or recommended for taping the lights? I don't have any friends or know anyone that is going to the track so I'm tiring to figure everything out on my own so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wear lycra running pants. Super thin, easier to move in and out of leathers, increased cooling factor and ultra light weight. I've been trying to find a lycra long sleeve shirt. For now a "wife beater" works. That way your sleeves don't bunch up under your arms.

Don't forget to unplug your headlight/tail light before you tape it.
Heat + Duct tape = gooooey mess

·
Registered
57 Posts
any tape will do, just make sure you disconnet your lights so that you don't melt the tape onto them. make sure you have GOOD tires, they are the cheapest insurance you can buy. just keep in mind that you can't keep up with the guy on race tires/softer tires.

what i wear under my leathers is kinda dependent on the weather. for most of the year i wear my boxers and the under armor shirts. when it gets cold i'll throw on the underarmor cold weather gear. i have a full perferated suit and the under armor turtle neck/pants kept me warm as i could be in cold weather.

just remember to have fun, be smooth and be predictable.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a Kushitani cool-max suit and a Second-Skin lycra suit. These are worn under your leathers. They are made of similar material as the liner in your leathers even when you're sweaty your leathers slide off easily.

The Kushitani is a much higher quality suit, its worth the $100. The second skin is OK at about $60, but its easily damaged.

Sorry I'm at work and don't have the web sites. Keith Code used to sell the Kushitani at their web site (www.suberbikeschool.com). The second skin is available through a site in Europe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can buy Kushitani products direct from their website. They moved from Torrance to another part of L.A. recently, per a flier I received in the mail. I've worked with them quite a bit since 2001.

In fact I wanted them at my favorite dealer here in Seattle, but they wouldn't quite make the reach. Guess they've pulled back a little on expansion plans these days due to the iffy economy. Hard to sell Rolls-Royce when Fords fly out the door. Henry Ford had that figured out way back when. Joe Rocket sells, man.

Kushitani is another league altogether, by a huge margin. I have a lot of their stuff. Some of it even fits chubby Americans, though being a slim Asian makes fitting easier since that's their primary audience.

I wear nothing but boxers under my leathers. Call me the rebel, but it keeps me relatively cool. My Kushitani leathers are custom and not perforated in front like their off-the-rack suits. I don't tend to boil over, since the existing perforations work well, but up north temps don't get quite as hot as Oklahoma or SoCal. Portland and even Seattle can be quite warm mid-July through mid-August, however.

I'm not knocking the cool or warm suits. In fact should I give in and have my Kushis perforated, I'll buy a liner of some sort for the rare "cold" track day. Probably better to be a bit chilly than a bit toasty on the track, regardless, since dehydration can be a major problem.

It'd be hard to argue perforation is the way to go for serious racers, since the events occur spring through fall and most of the U.S. heats up substantially in those months.

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wonder if it's really necessary to disconnect the taillight's on the 03's to prevent heat. Since they're LED's they shouldn't put out hardly any heat. I've haven't held my hand to them, but was wondering if anyone has tried?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Scoot, I pull the headlight and taillight fuses when at the track. The reason for disabling the brake light is so other people don't use your brake light as a brake marker. It has nothing to do with heat.

If you tape your headlight and the headlight stays on, the tape can be extremely hard to remove. That's the main reason for disabling the headlight.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by mjahelka

Scoot, I pull the headlight and taillight fuses when at the track. The reason for disabling the brake light is so other people don't use your brake light as a brake marker. It has nothing to do with heat.
mm, I don't get your point. I would think it a very good thing that you can see when people are braking. Slower riders won't get rear ended as easily and can see that maybe they don't need to brake quite as early. What's wrong with that? Especially for those new to the track.

We forbid people from taping over their brake light at our track days exactly so people won't get hit from behind because their brake points differ.

·
Registered
57 Posts
brake light = distraction

i came up on someone at a recent jennings trackday that you could see their tail light and when they hit the brakes my eyes went right to it. he hit the brakes a goooood 150 ft before i do. it's like watching someone wreck; if you watch them, your going to join them.

you might see it as a advantage, but when your moving a good 20mph faster than someone and focused on going by them then all of a sudden you see a red light out of the corner of your eye, it tends to break concentration.

·
Registered
180 Posts
brake lights are bad. The last thing I wanna see when executing my line is some guys brake light in my peripheral vision. I do the same. remove head and tail light fuses. It's a minutes worth of work, and makes a lot of people happy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Race bikes don't have brake lights. You learn to judge closing speed and react accordingly.

Most track days I've been to they require you to disable the brake light. Its simple to just pull the fuse. They also require you to tape over headlights or disable them (again a simple fuse pull).

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Distraction huh.[:M74] I guess so then. Never felt that way myself though, maybe I'm used to them. I know one time when it probably saved my ass. We're four riders in a left hand sweeper coming up on tighter double apex left and doing about 150km/h and still 100 throttle%. I'm passing two guys on the outside and the third is ahead of me. So the one ahead of me gets on the brakes maybe all of 2 secs before I would have and a lot sooner than I had expected taking me completely by surprise. We're both still leaning some and he is pretty close to the outer edge of the track, and I'm still not clear of the second rider so I can't go inside. Luckily there was enough room left for me to straighten up a bit and brake hard, just missing his rear tire, then getting her leaned over again so I don't run off the track. If it weren't for his brake light I would've probably taken that crucial fraction of a second more to react, possibly with disastruos results.

Race bikes, advanced groups, yeah, less of an issue, but this thread is is (was[:I]) about someone doing their first track day.

Especially back when I was in the medium group getting past some of the faster-for-that-group gixxer thou's or R1's wasn't so easy with my sixx. The problem is, you're NOT doing 20mph more, you're doing the same speed, at best, in the straightaways, corner speed you're going faster, but they motor away just as you get even with them on the exit. So barring some good spots where you're a lot faster, possibly drafting and then passing on the brakes was the best or sometimes only way to get by them, since they had a lot more power coming out of the turn. And I had some close calls and moments of terror due to some surprisingly early brake points, in which I feel the brake light gave me that extra definite warning. Some riders even like to brake hard way early and then coast a bit before turning, a practice which caused one rider a broken pipe when he got hit from behind. Granted, it was the only rear-ending accident of the 30'ish track days I worked at this summer, but I definitely feel brake lights are a good thing, especially in the beginner and medium groups. I've never been distracted or annoyed by them.

I understand that no brake lights is the way things are usually done in the states, so I'm not trying to change anyones mind about this, just hoping to understand and learn why our customs differ. Possibly just that we're used to having it a certain way. I also have limited experience myself, but on the other hand, I have my first trackdays, and experiences from all speed groups, still in fresh memory.

I really need to attend some lectures about the art of being concise, don't I[:I] (blabbermouth! :D)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by MeanGreenrr

First, what do you guys were under your leathers?

Also is there any certain tape required or recommended for taping the lights? I don't have any friends or know anyone that is going to the track so I'm tiring to figure everything out on my own so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I wear a (polypropylene) sports undersuit, it doesn't absorb sweat like cotton underwear/t-shirts, also fits nice under leathers.

In addition to taping lights/blinkers, also put some tape to your mirrors or remove them.

Some people also put a piece of tape over their speedo, personally I don't do that (but I very rarely look at it anyway).

Remember also to lower tyre pressures from recommended street pressures, I usually run 2,2 bar front and 2,2 bar rear at trackdays.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as under the leathers, try the under armour line. It is relatively inexpensive, and I also use it while mountain biking.
The issue with the head and tail lights is easily remedied by using the inline disconnects that Kawasaki has already put in place. PLEASE do not be the person whose brake light shines through. Then use painters masking tape over the lenses (it comes in blue and you can sometimes find it in green:D) If they require duct tape, just put it over the painters tape (no one will know but you.) That way you won't have any residue on the lenses.
Have a lot of fun at your first track day---remember, smooth

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
hey i'm gonna do some trackdays this summer and i was wondering about the lines you guys use to get warmed up? or do you just start riding aggressively instead of slowing getting into it?
do you start off slow and then progessively speed up? or just try to set a fast pace in the beginning?
would a race school be a good idea too? just to learn what lines to take...etc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.